Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

all of god's chillun got shoes

I see the following words when reading a blog:

I wanted to weigh in on the XXX(someone) response entry; really not to propagate his endless drama machine (though it will function as that, but who cares, all of god's chillun got shoes.)...

(I changed it a little bit to make it more comfortable to read.)

Could anyone tell me what is the meaning by "all of god's chillun got shoes" here?
    Last edited by tiggerwwc; 19-Dec-2009 at 20:34.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: all of god's chillun got shoes

I think it's all God's chillun. Maybe somebody else can explain the meaning of the phrase.

It comes from the Negro spiritual "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", and is saying that in Heaven all those oppressed on Earth will have clothes and shoes, part of their reward for their belief.

Your change is not comfortable within the metre of the spiritual. "All God's chillun got shoes" fits well into the metre.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It comes from the Negro spiritual "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", and is saying that in Heaven all those oppressed on Earth will have clothes and shoes, part of their reward for their belief.

Your change is not comfortable within the metre of the spiritual. "All God's chillun got shoes" fits well into the metre.

Huh? I haven't changed the sentence. What I've actually edited in the paragraph is that I used "who cares" to replace a swear phrase.

And "All of the God's chillun got shoes" is just straight copied from the blog.

(That's, perhaps, why I need to be here, because my English is too bad to accurately express my meaning. )

Thanks anyway.

But honestly, I still can't get the meaning what the blogger try to say in the paragraph when using this phrase.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The phrase no doubt means something to the blogger. I would have to have more context before I can decide ifI can get anything out of it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

Maybe; but the first negro spiritual that came to my mind was ALL GOD'S CHILLUN GOT WINGS Official Site of Negro Spirituals, antique Gospel Music (in which one verse is devoted to shoes). And as Ron says, we need to know more about the blog/blogger to know what was in his/her mind - it seems to have the force of 'everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion' - but I don't see the relevance of the quote.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It means "all of God's children have shoes." The spelling and phrasing you quoted are from the original Negro spiritual which not only incorporates the so-called Negro dialect of the time (today we might refer to that style of speaking as "Ebonics"), it also abbreviates words in order to fit the rhythm of the song, as Anglika mentioned. The phrase basically means that no matter how poor or disadvantaged you were during your time on Earth, once you go to Heaven all your needs will be taken care of. There are no barefoot kids in Heaven - all God's children got shoes.

As to the blogger's intentions, without knowing what the blog is related to, that is not possible to identify. The quoted phrase does not seem to have much relevence to the preceding text.

Thank you guys. I am not sure whether it is a good idea to link the blog here because there is actually quite a battle in which several bloggers have been involved. That's one of the reasons why I've chosen not to ask directly the blogger about the meaning of the phrase. (Although, with the quote, I think everyone can easily find out the blog if he really want to.)

The only thing I can do is quoting more words from the blog thus:

"I wanted to weigh in on the XXX's response entry; really not to propagate XXX's endless drama machine (though it will function as that, but fxxx it, all of god's chillun got shoes), but to attempt to stamp his rationality passport back to Self-Awareness Land, even as he intentionally and repeatedly throws said passports into the refuse bin and goes back to claiming he's refuted everyone and annihilated them and crushed them and whatnot. Big talk from a baby in a wheelchair, it seems, but that's a cheap shot and I'll try to keep those under control. "

And as I said, there is a battle(#) among several bloggers, and XXX is one of the main character that he keep publishing blogs, reiterating his points of some topic. However a few other bloggers, including the one who wrote the words I quoted, didn't agree with him and thought that he was nothing but making a drama out of that.

Wouldn't the pharse here mean something like "All Roads leads to Rome"?

(#) one more question: how to describe that kind of battle? Is it called word battle?

Thanks again for all of you guys trying to help.
    Last edited by tiggerwwc; 22-Dec-2009 at 05:11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast