Dilemma

Hello, i want to know something makes me mad, there is a lot of peoples using the word (I'm agree) and i know that it's wrong to use it like that, the correct is (I agree), but some of them said that we can use it like this (I'm agree) it's not a big deal, and when i ask them to give me the grammatical rule they relied on, they replied there is no grammatical rule and you have to accept it like this ok, really i felt that something is wrong in that issue, and that's why i'm asking you, if anybody knows the rule please save me from this dilemma.
    thanks to you all,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Cool Re: Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by shulman benamon View Post
    Hello, i want to know something makes me mad, there is a lot of peoples using the word (I'm agree) and i know that it's wrong to use it like that, the correct is (I agree), but some of them said that we can use it like this (I'm agree) it's not a big deal, and when i ask them to give me the grammatical rule they relied on, they replied there is no grammatical rule and you have to accept it like this ok, really i felt that something is wrong in that issue, and that's why i'm asking you, if anybody knows the rule please save me from this dilemma.
    thanks to you all,
    ui c vrai ça casse bien la tête, but think of it as such:
    I'm in agreement with ----.
    I agree with ---.
    I'm agree?? two finite verbs + aux?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Dilemma

thanks to you all,
    You can't say "I'm agree" and be grammatical at the same time.
    No native English-speaker would say that.

I never said that i'm an english-speaker sir but i just want you to explain not to critic, anyway thank you very much for your response, i'm from Morocco and my language is French, Arabic, Hebrew, and now i live in Ukraine it means that i speak Russian and Ukrainian, i speak german too, and i told you sir if you really read my message that i know it's wrong to write (i'm agree), and i agree with you sir that i did a mistake by saying the word (rule), but please that's not the point, the point is the ultimate explanation about that and thank you very much.
    Last edited by shulman benamon; 23-Dec-2009 at 13:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The problem with "I'm agree" is that "agree" is a verb.

I am happy - this links "I am" with an adjective.
    I am a doctor - this links "I am" with a noun.
    I am calling the doctor -- this is the present continuous, "am verb-ing."

There is no form that uses "I am" + a bare infinitive of a verb.
    I am call, I am agree, I am see -- these are all incorrect.

So "I'm agree" (which is "I am agree") is wrong for that reason.

Does that answer your question?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

thanks to you all,
    I agree
    I am agreeing (with you)
    I am in agreement

But, for the reason Barb has so clearly said, never "I am" with a "bare infinitive."

For instance, you might say "I am aware" but never "I am be aware." Aware is an adjective, whereas "be" is an infinitive.

Really i appreciate your explanation sir Barb_D, i'm very very happy to grasp it now i feel good, thanks a lot sir Barb_D you're the best, deep respect to you.