• Post Thanks / Like

Question Know when and how to use, who and whom

Hello, could someone explain to me how and when to use these two words, I have read things on the internet which are supposed to explain, but I just can't grasp it

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Know when and how to use, who and whom

Quote Originally Posted by seie View Post
    Hello, could someone explain to me how and when to use these two words, I have read things on the internet which are supposed to explain, but I just can't grasp it
    (NOT a teacher) (l) Even many native speakers don't understand this well. (2) Nowadays, if you are in doubt, just use "who." (3) "Who" is always the subject or refers to the subject: (a) Who is your best friend? ("Who" is the subject) (b) Do you know who the president is? = You do know the president is who. ("Who" refers to the subject of "is" which is "president".) (4) "Whom" always refers to the object: (a) Whom do you like? = You do like whom? ("whom" is object of "like"), (b) Whom do you live with? = You do live with whom? ("whom" is object of "with"). It is impossible to explain more in a post. Perhaps some other posters can recommend some good sources. Good luck.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (NOT a teacher) (l) Even many native speakers don't understand this well. (2) Nowadays, if you are in doubt, just use "who." (3) "Who" is always the subject or refers to the subject: (a) Who is your best friend? ("Who" is the subject) (b) Do you know who the president is? = You do know the president is who. ("Who" refers to the subject of "is" which is "president".) (4) "Whom" always refers to the object: (a) Whom do you like? = You do like whom? ("whom" is object of "like"), (b) Whom do you live with? = You do live with whom? ("whom" is object of "with"). It is impossible to explain more in a post. Perhaps some other posters can recommend some good sources. Good luck.
    Thankyou do you think you could explain what and object and subject is please?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seie View Post
    Thankyou do you think you could explain what and object and subject is please?

(1) Subject does something: "I eat." Ask yourself: Who eats? Answer: I. So "I" am the subject. (2) Sometimes subject does not do anything: Sacramento is the capital of California. What is the capital? "Sacramento," then, is the subject. (3) Object refers to person/thing that receives the action. (a) I eat an apple. What receives the action of my eating? an apple. So "an apple" is the object. (b) I live in California. We say "Caifornia" is the object of "in" (a preposition). There is no action in this case. But, of course, if you say, "I live in," your friend will ask: "In where?" So you have to finish a sentence with an Object: California/ a nice house/ a big city. Keep studying about subjects and objects. Then it will be easier for you to understand other aspects of English grammar. Good luck.