• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

tense to use when describing a fictional book/movie?

ok, i got that then writing/speaking from writer perspective in a fictional story, you should use past tense as standard format. but if you are chatting about fictional work like character A does something and/or character B does something in the story, do you use past tense/present tense. I'm referring to when you are not writer of the story and like just casual conversation. which is ok?

Re: tense to use when describing a fictional book/movie?

Quote Originally Posted by curiousone2009 View Post
    ok, i got that then writing/speaking from writer perspective in a fictional story, you should use past tense as standard format. but if you are chatting about fictional work like character A does something and/or character B does something in the story, do you use past tense/present tense. I'm referring to when you are not writer of the story and like just casual conversation. which is ok?
    Generally I ask students to write about a fictional work in the past tense but it is actually not incorrect to use the present tense. It is a matter of style. In fact, there is nothing that says fiction needs to be in the past tense. Some great works are in fact written in the present tense. (Or shall I say were written in the present tense?)

In general, you should write in the present tense.

In the Act Two of the play, Macbeth has a mental breakdown. Later in the act, a murder is committed, and she—although irrefutably innocent from the reader's perspective—feels responsible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

still unclear on certain things. for example, if i 'm writing a story, it be like , leon killed the monster in the police station., right?

but if i 'm talking to a friend about a story event, it should be like, leon kills the monster in the police station., right?