Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 281
    #1

    firewoman ?

    "She's a firewoman." Correct ?

  1. syku's Avatar
    Junior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 39
    #2

    Re: firewoman ?

    What do you mean? She is a firefighter?


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    #3

    Re: firewoman ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    "She's a firewoman." Correct ?
    (Not a teacher)

    I've never heard it used, and I checked dictionaries and can't find it.

    The use of '-man' has declined a lot recently, and in general you can substitute this with either '-person' is the sex is not know, or '-woman' if the sex is female.

    However, fireman has been changed (as far as I'm aware) to the gender neutral 'firefighter', and I would use this.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #4

    Exclamation Re: firewoman ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    (Not a teacher)

    I've never heard it used, and I checked dictionaries and can't find it.

    The use of '-man' has declined a lot recently, and in general you can substitute this with either '-person' is the sex is not know, or '-woman' if the sex is female.

    However, fireman has been changed (as far as I'm aware) to the gender neutral 'firefighter', and I would use this.
    A female fire fighter is called a fire woman. Here is an internet site selling dressess for women engaged in different proffessions including fire women:
    A great range of Female Firefighter and Fire Woman Costumes for Fancy Dress Occasions. From renowned manufacturers and available in a range of sizes. Image results for fire woman outfit
    Last edited by sarat_106; 21-Dec-2009 at 08:47.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #5

    Re: firewoman ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ph2004 View Post
    "She's a firewoman." Correct ?
    (NOT a teacher) Here in the United States, a lady would be offended or amused if you called her a firewoman. As the other poster said, you should use "firefighter." Today, many ladies want the same titles as men have. For example, many "actresses" prefer that you call them "actors."

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #6

    Re: firewoman ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    A female fire fighter is called a fire woman. Here is an internet site selling dressess for women engaged in different proffessions including fire women:
    A great range of Female Firefighter and Fire Woman Costumes for Fancy Dress Occasions. From renowned manufacturers and available in a range of sizes. Image results for fire woman outfit
    Hi Sarat,
    This site sells sexy costumes, not what a woman who works as a firefighter would actually wear.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #7

    Exclamation Re: firewoman ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Hi Sarat,
    This site sells sexy costumes, not what a woman who works as a firefighter would actually wear.
    Thank you Barb,

    I just typed the word "fire woman" in the search tool bar and got a few number of such sites. I think it can be termed as a metaphor for sexy woman.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #8

    Re: firewoman ?

    No, no - it's not!

    These costumes were just for dress up. For "fancy dress" or "costume" parties.

    You can find sexy maid costumes, sexy nurse costumes, sexy firefighter costumes, sexy school teacher costumes... that doesn't mean that "nurse" is a metaphor for a sexy woman.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •