• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

varied vs various

Dear teachers, I would like to ask whether there are any differences in meaning with the use of various or varied in the following sentences:

"In spite of varied ( Can I use "various"?) protest, the nineteenth century saw the admission of girls into elementary schools and eventually into secondary schools.'

"People use muscles to make various (Can I use "varied"?) movements, such as walking, jumping, or throwing."

Thanks for your advice.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: varied vs various

Assuming that you cannot change any other word in the sentence, you can only use 'varied' for singular nouns. That is, 'varied protest', but not 'various protest'. However, I think you could quite correctly use various if you change the sentence to 'various protests'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: varied vs various

Quote Originally Posted by Deepurple View Post
    Dear teachers, I would like to ask whether there are any differences in meaning with the use of various or varied in the following sentences:

"In spite of varied ( Can I use "various"?) protest, the nineteenth century saw the admission of girls into elementary schools and eventually into secondary schools.'

"People use muscles to make various (Can I use "varied"?) movements, such as walking, jumping, or throwing."

Thanks for your advice.
    Let us start with the example sentences. ‘various’ has been used before a plural noun ‘movements’, because it refers to several (different) things and should therefore necessarily be used before a plural noun. On the other hand, you have used ‘varied’ before a singular noun ‘protest’. But it can also be used with a plural noun; as:
    Varied motives prompt people to join a particular political party.
    Hence because of this distinction, you can not replace ‘varied’ with ‘various’ in the first sentence but the vice versa is possible in the second sentence
    Sometimes unlike ‘various’ which is always placed before plural noun, ‘varied’ can be used at the end of a sentence, as:
    The solution to this problem can be many and varied.
    So you will find that there is little or no difference in meaning but in usage there is.
    Besides, ‘varied’ as the past form of the verb ‘vary’ has completely different applications; as:
    The ratio was varied from 1.70 to 1.82.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 22-Dec-2009 at 02:52.