• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

need clarification of those sentences

Hi. I need to understand what the author of the book I translate means by the following statements. I showed the unclear parts in bold characters and added previous and next sentences to let them make a sense.

1) "...Transformation of commercials into direct communicators of powerful feelings has brought them full circle into the realm of art.
    I’ll follow up that little bit of blasphemy
    by pointing out that I have several friends who don’t watch much TV. When we get together for the occasional viewing of some special program, it fascinates me that they are often more engrossed by the commercials than the program itself!"

2) Schaefer is the one beer to have
    When you’re having more than one!

(Does it mean something like there are also other beer brands but you should choose Scaefer?)

3)The agency representing Budweiser and Bud Light now have the two square off in a confabulated “Bud Bowl” football game between two teams of animated cans and bottles every year during the Super Bowl.
    (I looked them up in several dictionaries but could not get what they mean here.)

If someone can clarify me these three sentences, it will help me too much.

Thanks in advance.

Re: need clarification of those sentences

Quote Originally Posted by lorenya View Post
    Hi. I need to understand what the author of the book I translate means by the following statements. I showed the unclear parts in bold characters and added previous and next sentences to let them make a sense.

1) "...Transformation of commercials into direct communicators of powerful feelings has brought them full circle into the realm of art.
    I’ll follow up that little bit of blasphemy
    by pointing out that I have several friends who don’t watch much TV. When we get together for the occasional viewing of some special program, it fascinates me that they are often more engrossed by the commercials than the program itself!"

It means that he will go further (follow up) - after having just said something blasphemous, that is, heretical - by pointing out..

2) Schaefer is the one beer to have
    When you’re having more than one!

(Does it mean something like there are also other beer brands but you should choose Scaefer?)

When you are going to drink many bottles (or glasses) of beer (in other words, at that time) you should drink Schaefer. 3)The agency representing Budweiser and Bud Light now have the two square off in a confabulated “Bud Bowl” football game between two teams of animated cans and bottles every year during the Super Bowl.
    (I looked them up in several dictionaries but could not get what they mean here.)

To "square off" means to confront (or compete with), as when two soccer teams play against one another.
    The FreeDictionary defines "confabulated" as " To talk casually; chat.", or "To fill in gaps in one's memory with fabrications that one believes to be facts."
    It is seldom used in English and in this circumstance probably means something like "imaginary." I suspect they just thought it sounded good.

If someone can clarify me these three sentences, it will help me too much.

Thanks in advance.
    I hope that is useful.