• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

self-reliance

Hello,

I'm so confused by the Emerson's self-reliance. Pls help.

His famous quote is:

So use all that is called Fortune. Most men gamble with her, and gain all, and lose all, as her wheel rolls. But do thou leave as unlawful these winnings, and deal with Cause and Effect, the chancellors of God. In the Will work and acquire, and thou hast chained the wheel of Chance, and shall sit hereafter out of fear from her rotations.

My questions are:

1) When it says "leave as unlawful these winnings", does it mean we should consider that the winnings (what we got by luck/fortune) are not good? we should expect things to be accomplished by luck??

2) Pls explain the red sentence. From my understanding, you need your willpower to do things but I don't understand where it says "...thou hast chained the wheel of chance (opprotunity??), and shall sit hereafter out of fear from her rotations (don't be fear no matter the wheel of chance/fortune rolls?)

Pls help! Thank you!!

Beeja

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: self-reliance

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    Hello,

I'm so confused by the Emerson's self-reliance. Pls help.

His famous quote is:

So use all that is called Fortune. Most men gamble with her, and gain all, and lose all, as her wheel rolls. But do thou leave as unlawful these winnings, and deal with Cause and Effect, the chancellors of God. In the Will work and acquire, and thou hast chained the wheel of Chance, and shall sit hereafter out of fear from her rotations.

My questions are:

1) When it says "leave as unlawful these winnings", does it mean we should consider that the winnings (what we got by luck/fortune) are not good? we should expect things to be accomplished by luck??

2) Pls explain the red sentence. From my understanding, you need your willpower to do things but I don't understand where it says "...thou hast chained the wheel of chance (opprotunity??), and shall sit hereafter out of fear from her rotations (don't be fear no matter the wheel of chance/fortune rolls?)

Pls help! Thank you!!

Beeja
    (Not a teacher) A very interesting quotation that I have never read. Perhaps if I start the discussion, others will contribute. This is how I interpret it: (1) Don't depend on luck. Depend on cause and effect (the Chancellors of God). For example, if you want to learn English, don't just hope that luck/fortune will make it possible. Study hard (the cause) and you will learn (the effect). (2) If you "work" (cause), you will acquire (effect). Then you will not have to worry about depending only on "good luck" and fearing "bad luck." In other words, take control of your life. Don't be fatalistic.