• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

collude/sedition/collusion/artifice/dolorous/repose

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

If they let things take their course, they will be represented as colluding with sedition.

collude = act in unison or agreement and in secret towards a deceitful or illegal purpose; conspire; plot

sedition = an illegal action inciting resistance to lawful authority and tending to cause the disruption or overthrow of the government

The foxe, maister of collusion.

collusion = agreement on a secret plot; connivance; fraud; cunning

That they [miracles] be done publicly, in the face of the world, that there may be no room to suspect artifice and collusion.

artifice = a deceptive manoeuvre (especially to avoid capture)

By the ignorance of the merchants or dishonesty of the weavers, or the collusion of both, the ware was bad and the price excessive.

Tacit collusion occurs when cartels are illegal or overt collusion is absent.

You take me in too dolorous a sense; I spake to you for your comfort.

dolorous = full of grief; sad; sorrowful

Their dispatch is quick, and less dolorous than the paw of the bear or teeth of the lion.

dolorous = occasioning pain or grief; painful

To waste long nights in indolent repose.

indolent = indulging in ease; avoiding labor and exertion; habitually idle; lazy; inactive

repose = freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)

But these thy fortunes let us straight repose in this divine cave's bosom.

repose = to cause to stop or to rest after motion

All being settled and reposed, the lord archbishop did present his majesty to the lords and commons.

After the toil of battle to repose your wearied virtue.

repose = to lay at rest; to cause to be calm or quiet; to compose

The king reposeth all his confidence in thee.

repose = to place, have, or rest; to set; to intrust

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: collude/sedition/collusion/artifice/dolorous/repose

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    If they let things take their course, they will be represented as colluding with sedition. = If they let things take their course, they will be accused of colluding with sedition
    collude = act in unison or agreement and in secret towards a deceitful or illegal purpose; conspire; plot

sedition = an illegal action inciting resistance to lawful authority and tending to cause the disruption or overthrow of the government = encouraging one's fellow citizens to rebel against their state, Sedition laws in many countries somewhat equate to terrorism and public order laws.
    The foxe, maister of collusion. Unable to understand foxe and maister not being dictionary words.

collusion = agreement on a secret plot; connivance; fraud; cunning

That they [miracles] be done publicly, in the face of the world, that there may be no room to suspect artifice and collusion. Ok

artifice = a deceptive manoeuvre (especially to avoid capture)= trickery

By the ignorance of the merchants or dishonesty of the weavers, or the collusion of both, the ware was bad and the price excessive. Ok

Tacit collusion occurs when cartels are illegal or overt collusion is absent.
    When individual dominance ceases and completion rules, a number of firms usually engage in tacit collusion, as a result of which their behavior may approximate that of a single dominant firm .

You take me in too dolorous a sense; I spake to you for your comfort.

dolorous = full of grief; sad; sorrowful

Their dispatch is quick, and less dolorous than the paw of the bear or teeth of the lion.

dolorous = occasioning pain or grief; painful

To waste long nights in indolent repose.

indolent = indulging in ease; avoiding labor and exertion; habitually idle; lazy; inactive

repose = freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)= A lying at rest; sleep; rest; quiet.

But these thy fortunes let us straight repose in this divine cave's bosom.

repose = to cause to stop or to rest after motion

All being settled and reposed, the lord archbishop did present his majesty to the lords and commons.

After the toil of battle to repose your wearied virtue. = mentally fatigued goodness

repose = to lay at rest; to cause to be calm or quiet; to compose

The king reposeth all his confidence in thee.= The king entrusts all his faith on thee(God)

repose = to place, have, or rest; to set; to entrust

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Verses from past writers having figurative meaning difficult to comprehend.