• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

pedir tablas

Heyday!
    I am wondering how to translate " pedir tablas" into spanish. The context is a chess game. I believe that " tablas" could be translated to " stalemate" and "en tablas" "o acabar en tablas" to "to draw".
    But if I were a judge ( chess judge) and I have to relate when one player say to another " te ofrezco tablas"( creo que se dice así en español, o muy parecido), how would I say that?: "...the player A ask player B for stalemate"?, ".. the player A ask B to draw"?.
    I hope I have expressed myself clear enough. Thank you very much in advance!.
    My regards.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: pedir tablas

Quote Originally Posted by for learning View Post
    Heyday!
    I am wondering how to translate " pedir tablas" into spanish. The context is a chess game. I believe that " tablas" could be translated to " stalemate" and "en tablas" "o acabar en tablas" to "to draw".
    But if I were a judge ( chess judge) and I have to relate when one player say to another " te ofrezco tablas"( creo que se dice así en español, o muy parecido), how would I say that?: "...the player A ask player B for stalemate"?, ".. the player A ask B to draw"?.
    I hope I have expressed myself clear enough. Thank you very much in advance!.
    My regards.
    In chess "stalemate" means a specific kind of "forced draw", the player does not need to ask for it, it shows itself in the board.

"Pedir tablas" is already in Spanish, in English it could be translasted as "ask for a draw" or "propose draw". In the situation you mentioned, you could say "Player A proposes player B a draw." The Spanish "tablas" is also well understood and used by English speakers chess players.

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: pedir tablas

Also you can say "offer a draw."

Usually chessplayers easily recoginize a stalemate position, so they both immediatelly agree to have reached a draw and simply sign their sheets and head to the referee.

When one of the players does not know what a stalemate is, like in children's chess games for example, then the one who claims stalemate asks the for referee's presence. The same situation may occur in a draw by repetition of positions.