• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Smile Teaching American or British English at the same time?

Must students be taught both American and British English at the same time at school or on the contrary, do they have to be taught only one of them? Lately I see how English grammar books use both alternatively without specifying about it. Can that sound a bit awkward to native speakers when listening to non-native speakers using expressions from both "English" in the same sentence.

I thank you in advance for your opinion.

Re: Teaching American or British English at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by ratóncolorao View Post
    Must students be taught both American and British English at the same time at school or on the contrary, do they have to be taught only one of them? Lately I see how English grammar books use both alternatively without specifying about it. Can that sound a bit awkward to native speakers when listening to non-native speakers using expressions from both "English" in the same sentence.

(Not a teacher)

I'm not a teacher, so I have no real knowledge of what to teach studentsof English. However, if you teach standard English, are there really that many differences between British and American varieties when talking about grammar?

Most differences lie in idioms and expressions used, slang/informal vocabulary, and of course spelling. Even so, they are often similar.

I would say spelling requires you to choose whichever variety English you are comfortable teaching consistently. Spelling some words using American, and then other using British would be confusing.

It will be interesting to see what actual teachers think from their experience. Especially non-native teachers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think that they are best kept separate.

But, make no mistake, language is a living thing, with a mind of its own. In a sense, British and American English are fighting it out.

This site is British-hosted. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Spelling is an issue. "Advertize" or "Advertise". Enjoy the difference. Vive la difference!

Linguist Farmer

Also, if we are talking about differences in expressions used, what about Canadian English, Austrailian English, Indian English, South African English, and so on. These countries will have their own unique vocabulary and idioms that are just as different as American vs British English.

Teach what you know, I'd say!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by ratóncolorao View Post

(NOT a teacher) I thought that everyone who reads this thread would enjoy this TRUE story: Many years ago, an Australian wrote to a famous British literary magazine and demanded that the magazine use American spellings. The editor printed his letter under this headline: WHAT A NERVE! (P.S. As far as I know, the magazine did not obey him.)