1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Exclamation i really dont understand preposition

Good Day Sir,

I 'm having a serious problem with preposition and about writing an exams, kindly assist me sir, Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: i really dont understand preposition

Quote Originally Posted by Sulymon View Post
    Good Day Sir,

I 'm having a serious problem with preposition and about writing an exams, kindly assist me sir, Thanks a lot.

I guess you have to practice a lot. I find it (preposition) very difficult too.

*Not a teacher*

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Good Day Sir,

Your post is a bit vague. If you have any specific questions about prepositions, post them and someone will try to help.

Good Day Sir,

Hi!

i'm not a teacher.

There are some essential preposition like:

about, above, across, after, against, along, around, as, at, before, behind, below, beneath, between, by, down, except, for, from, in, of, off, on, out, over, past, through, to, under, until, up, with, within, without.

There are many others, so if you want to use prepositions correctly you have to have a good English - English dictionary where you can find them, shown in example sentences. But be careful when looking up prepositions in the dictionary because some of them may overlap with other parts of speeches as, for example, "up":

1. up - an adverb: They climbed up to the top of the mountain.
    2. up - an adjective: The up train.
    3. up - a verb: They upped the price of oil.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: i really dont understand preposition

Good Day Sir,

Prepositions are short words (on, in, at, to, of, for, from) which are extensively used in English. As a first step, try to learn the various applications of these basic prepositions. Please note that a preposition is used before a noun or pronoun (called object of the preposition) that establishes a relationship with another word of the sentence to impart a temporal meaning to the whole sentence. So in that sense preposition is a very tricky word.
    There are hardly any rules as to when and where to use which preposition except some guide lines available for the basic prepositions, which you can study from a good grammar site on the Web. However to become conversant and gain confidence, the only way to learn is by looking them up in a dictionary, reading a lot in English (literature), learning useful prepositional phrases off by heart (study tips) and above all doing a lot of practice on uses of different prepositions which includes verifying the correctness of their uses. You can use this forum effectively for that purpose.