• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

omission

Anyone can feel weightless by falling. During the zero-gravity portion of the flight, the plane flies toward the ground at the same free-falling speed and acceleration as the passengers. ---taken from the NYT
    = ...plane flies toward the ground at the same free-falling speed and acceleration as the passengers did.

Dear teacher,

As you know, I can fully understand its meaning and know the quote is perfectly correct, but I have no idea about why the verb(=did) of the subordinate clause can be dropped. Did you know any relevant grammar rule about this kind of omission? Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

LQZ

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: omission

Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post
    Anyone can feel weightless by falling. During the zero-gravity portion of the flight, the plane flies toward the ground at the same free-falling speed and acceleration as the passengers. ---taken from the NYT
    = ...plane flies toward the ground at the same free-falling speed and acceleration as the passengers did.

Dear teacher,

As you know, I can fully understand its meaning and know the quote is perfectly correct, but I have no idea about why the verb(=did) of the subordinate clause can be dropped. Did you know any relevant grammar rule about this kind of omission? Thanks in advance.

LQZ
    I do not know which grammar rule allows the omission here. I know only two things: (1) the omission is correct; (2) the word omitted is not "did" but "do".

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

According to Michael Swan's Practical English Usage: We can leave out words after as and then, if the meaning is clear. (177.7)

It goes on to give some examples of leaving out verbs and subjects. For example,

The food this year is as good as last year's (food).
    I scored more points in PacMan than you (did).

Hope this helps, have a happy holiday!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you, macanudo and ymnisky, I've got it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post

Dear teacher,

LQZ
    (NOT a teacher) I found this "rule" in L. G. Alexander's LONGMAN ENGLISH GRAMMAR: When continuing with the same verb in the same tense, we can omit the second verb: He answers as quickly as his sister (does).