• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Wicket Indication of Railroad Stations

The wickets of a local Japanese railroad station indicate an English sign that reads "Gates" for English-speaking foreigners. The platforms have English signs that read "Exit" to guide English-speaking passengers getting off at the station.
    A friend of mine working for the railroad station wants to know if these expressions "Gates" and "Exit" are acceptable to native speakers of English.
    He also wants to know if the above wicket sign should be "Gate" or "Gates." There are a number of wickets at the station. If there was only one wicket gate because it was a small station, should the station use "Gate" instead of "Gates"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Wicket Indication of Railroad Stations

Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    The wickets of a local Japanese railroad station indicate an English sign that reads "Gates" for English-speaking foreigners. The platforms have English signs that read "Exit" to guide English-speaking passengers getting off at the station.
    A friend of mine working for the railroad station wants to know if these expressions "Gates" and "Exit" are acceptable to native speakers of English.
    He also wants to know if the above wicket sign should be "Gate" or "Gates." There are a number of wickets at the station. If there was only one wicket gate because it was a small station, should the station use "Gate" instead of "Gates"?
    Yes, signs pointing to "gates" and "exit" are fine. If there is only one gate, I suppose it should read "gate" but I don't think it's terribly important.