Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #1

    Question the appropriate present tense to pick

    Good day to everyone

    It's been a while since my last post here, but I've been extremely busy with something else, something not concerning the English language.
    Still, I need your help as regards the following sentence (CPE level task):

    Put the verbs in brackets into the appropriate present tense:
    He ... (study) most of the year, but now it's summer, he ... (work) in a shop.

    The thing is there's only one key answer to this sentence. What I'd like to get is your take on the sentence. What tenses would be appropriate to use in your opinion? I'm going to give you the key answer later on.

    Thanks for any response.

  2. Trance Freak's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 655
    #2

    Cool Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Good day to everyone

    It's been a while since my last post here, but I've been extremely busy with something else, something not concerning the English language.
    Still, I need your help as regards the following sentence (CPE level task):

    Put the verbs in brackets into the appropriate present tense:
    He ... (study) most of the year, but now it's summer, he ... (work) in a shop.

    The thing is there's only one key answer to this sentence. What I'd like to get is your take on the sentence. What tenses would be appropriate to use in your opinion? I'm going to give you the key answer later on.

    Thanks for any response.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,595
    #3

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Good day to everyone

    It's been a while since my last post here, but I've been extremely busy with something else, something not concerning the English language.
    Still, I need your help as regards the following sentence (CPE level task):

    Put the verbs in brackets into the appropriate present tense:
    He ... (study) most of the year, but now it's summer, he ... (work) in a shop.

    The thing is there's only one key answer to this sentence. What I'd like to get is your take on the sentence. What tenses would be appropriate to use in your opinion? I'm going to give you the key answer later on.

    Thanks for any response.
    "Studies/is working".


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #4

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Studies/is working".
    Yes.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Thumbs up Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Studies/is working".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    Yes.
    That's exactly what my first thought about the sentence was.
    Great minds think alike.

    However, the key answer is this:
    He's been studying most of the year, but now it's summer, he's working in a shop.

    I know it's perfect and this is what the author of the book with that task would expect to get from the students, but the trouble is there is one stubborn Polish English teacher who claims that the key answer is the only acceptable one. So I guess it's time he began to take things into consideration with a bit broader attitude, so to speak.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 143
    #6

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    That's exactly what my first thought about the sentence was.
    Great minds think alike.

    However, the key answer is this:
    He's been studying most of the year, but now it's summer, he's working in a shop.

    I know it's perfect and this is what the author of the book with that task would expect to get from the students, but the trouble is there is one stubborn Polish English teacher who claims that the key answer is the only acceptable one. So I guess it's time he began to take things into consideration with a bit broader attitude, so to speak.
    Hi!

    The problem concerns the meaning of the noun year. If your teacher means the 'year' as the academic one which runs from October to July and ends at the start of the summer then the He's been studying is correct, otherwise the He studies is OK.

  5. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #7

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    I do know that a language is flexible...however, I think, when we have "but" in a sentence, two opposite aspects of the same idea are being introduced. In the second part we have some information about what he's doing this summer (not all summers),so the first part can't be a general fact about his habbits; so, it doesn't sound appropriate to use a "simple present" here. (that's, of course, the way I thought of after you gave us the 2nd choice.) Any other ideas?


    not a teacher...


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 143
    #8

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    I do know that a language is flexible...however, I think, when we have "but" in a sentence, two opposite aspects of the same idea are being introduced. In the second part we have some information about what he's doing this summer (not all summers),so the first part can't be a general fact about his habbits; so, it doesn't sound appropriate to use a "simple present" here. (that's, of course, the way I thought of after you gave us the 2nd choice.) Any other ideas?


    not a teacher...
    Hi!

    In the time clause He studies most of the year there is an idea of routine, so you can use the simple present tense here.

  6. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #9

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by omasta View Post
    Hi!

    In the time clause He studies most of the year there is an idea of routine, so you can use the simple present tense here.

    Hi dear,
    Yes. It's quite all right for the clause to refer to a habit, but I thought of the idea of Parallel Structures, where, in this case, the first clause had better go the same way as the second one (not a habit), specially when it's in an exam, or your teacher sounds pretty rigid! Or maybe I'm wrong!


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 143
    #10

    Re: the appropriate present tense to pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi dear,
    Yes. It's quite all right for the clause to refer to a habit, but I thought of the idea of Parallel Structures, where, in this case, the first clause had better go the same way as the second one (not a habit), specially when it's in an exam, or your teacher sounds pretty rigid! Or maybe I'm wrong!
    Hi!

    Everything is OK. Both clauses are in present tenses.

Similar Threads

  1. Grammar question
    By ivapetrova9 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2009, 11:01
  2. i need urgent help
    By nita in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2009, 13:13
  3. about present continuos tense and simple present tense
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2006, 19:07
  4. IF
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2004, 01:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •