• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question Any verb for this?

Hi there,
    I hope somebody give me a right verb for this…we know students have to do their homework, study, read, write…etc. What is the verb referring to all such activities? I heard a student say “I rarely exercise”. I knew it was wrong but couldn’t give the right verb. Can “work out” be used here? (Especially when the subject is English) Many thanks in advance.

Re: Any verb for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi there,
    I hope somebody give me a right verb for this…we know students have to do their homework, study, read, write…etc. What is the verb referring to all such activities? I heard a student say “I rarely exercise”. I knew it was wrong but couldn’t give the right verb. Can “work out” be used here? (Especially when the subject is English) Many thanks in advance.
    To "exercise" (standing by itself, as opposed to exercising your mental faculties) generally means to do physical exercise. To "work out" always does.

I know of no similar words for doing one's homework. We certainly hope that our students are "applying themselves fully to their studies."

Any other suggestions out there?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: Any verb for this?

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    To "exercise" (standing by itself, as opposed to exercising your mental faculties) generally means to do physical exercise. To "work out" always does.

I know of no similar words for doing one's homework. We certainly hope that our students are "applying themselves fully to their studies."

Of all the verbs I could think of, learn seems the best to match the desired meaning - you learn through/while doing your homework, studying, reading, writing and so on.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post

Many thanks...I just didn't get the last part. So, you mean "to work out" can't be used at all? How about "to study"? Can it refer to all activities a student does? For example, imagine a mum complaining about her child, she says something like, 'my child never .......... !'. Or a question like, 'when do you usually........ in a day?' when we want to know when they spend some time ......ing their school work (writing, studying, searching,...)............................Sorry for being wordy!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question Re: Any verb for this?

And how about "to do one's studies"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Many thanks...I just didn't get the last part. So, you mean "to work out" can't be used at all? How about "to study"? Can it refer to all activities a student does? For example, imagine a mum complaining about her child, she says something like, 'my child never studies......... !'. Or a question like, 'when do you usually...study..... in a day?' when we want to know when they spend some time .doing their school work (writing, studying, searching,...)............................Sorry for being wordy!
    "Applying yourself to" is a common phrase for putting effort into, that is, working hard.

And it's fine to say "to do your studying."