• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

lunge/footage/harbor(n)/harbor(v)

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

"In the face of the exodus of all those who migrate from their homelands and are driven away by hunger, intolerance or environmental degradation," the Roman Catholic Church calls for "an attitude of acceptance and welcome," he said, looking calm and collected as he gave the "urbi et orbi" (to the city and the world) message just hours after a woman jumped a security barrier and lunged at him, causing him to fall to the ground.

lunge (v) = make a thrusting forward movement; dash; thrust at

Video footage showed the 82-year-old pontiff being knocked to the ground as a woman jumped the barrier to get to him.

“Hindeburg Disaster Newsreel Footage” is a 1937 documetary film which shows the burnig, explosion, and crash of the zeppelin “Hindenburg”.

footage = film that has been shot

Italian media said the woman did not harbor malicious intentions.

The bare suspicion made it treason to harbor the person suspected.

harbor = entertain, feel, bear; to indulge or cherish (a thought or feeling, esp. an ill thought); as, to harbor a grudge

For this night let's harbor here in York.

harbor = to lodge, or abide for a time; to take shelter, as in a harbor

For harbor at a thousand doors they knocked.

harbor (n) = a station for rest and entertainment; a place of security and comfort; a refuge; a shelter

We shouldn’t give harbor to a criminal.

The woods harbor much game.

harbor = hide

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: lunge/footage/harbor(n)/harbor(v)

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
    "In the face of the exodus of all those who migrate from their homelands and are driven away by hunger, intolerance or environmental degradation," the Roman Catholic Church calls for "an attitude of acceptance and welcome," he said, looking calm and collected as he gave the "urbi et orbi" (to the city and the world) message just hours after a woman jumped a security barrier and lunged at him, causing him to fall to the ground.

lunge (v) = make a thrusting forward movement; dash; thrust at= to move forward suddenly and with force, especially in order to attack someone may be with something such as a knife or sword. However in the instant case nothing was carried: She suddenly lunged at the Pope with nothing in her hand.
    Video footage showed the 82-year-old pontiff being knocked to the ground as a woman jumped the barrier to get to him.

“Hindeburg Disaster Newsreel Footage” is a 1937 documentary film which shows the burnig, explosion, and crash of the zeppelin “Hindenburg”.

footage = film that has been shot= cinema film showing a particular event

Italian media said the woman did not harbor malicious intentions.

The bare suspicion made it treason to harbor the person suspected.

harbor = entertain, feel, bear; to indulge or cherish (a thought or feeling, esp. an ill thought); as, to harbor a grudge=to keep bad thoughts, fears

For this night let's harbor here in York.

harbor = to lodge, or abide for a time; to take shelter, as in a harbor Ok

For harbor at a thousand doors they knocked.

harbor (n) = a station for rest and entertainment; a place of security and comfort; a refuge; a shelter ok
    Thousands of refugees find safe harbor in Jerusalem,
    We shouldn’t give harbor to a criminal.

harbor = hide=to protect and hide criminals that the police are searching for

The woods harbor much game/different kinds of germs

harbor = hide=to contain something hidden and dangerous:

</SPAN>

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Skp

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: lunge/footage/harbor(n)/harbor(v)

Hi sarat 106,

Thank you again for your kindness. Most of the time your amendments are very relevant. More often than not you helped me to find the most appropriate word for a particular occasion. Unfortunetly I have to make an exception for the present case namely your rejection of my interpretation of “lunge” in my original post. You are in right with your interpretation of the verb “lunge”. The term in question has it roots in fencing.

My true Chambers Dictionarry of Synonyms and Antonyms has the following entry:

lunge = charge, dart, dash, dive, fall upon, grab (at), hit (at), jsb, leap, pitch into, plunge, poke, pounce, set upon, stab, strike (at), thrust

Furthermore, here is a link concerning the matter in question.

lunge: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

So I think I have good reason to insist for my interpretation.

Happy Holidays and best wished for 2010.

Vil

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: lunge/footage/harbor(n)/harbor(v)

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi sarat 106,

Thank you again for your kindness. Most of the time your amendments are very relevant. More often than not you helped me to find the most appropriate word for a particular occasion. Unfortunetly I have to make an exception for the present case namely your rejection of my interpretation of “lunge” in my original post. You are in right with your interpretation of the verb “lunge”. The term in question has it roots in fencing.

My true Chambers Dictionarry of Synonyms and Antonyms has the following entry:

lunge = charge, dart, dash, dive, fall upon, grab (at), hit (at), jsb, leap, pitch into, plunge, poke, pounce, set upon, stab, strike (at), thrust

Furthermore, here is a link concerning the matter in question.

lunge: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

So I think I have good reason to insist for my interpretation.

Happy Holidays and best wished for 2010.

Vil
    Thank you Vil for your post but have I really disagreed with you and where? If you mean the 1st para, as far as I understand it is some addition, a veiled intention of the action that have been described by you.