I like + "it" + here/there.

I've never found a single book going into the specifics on how one can't simply say, e.g., "I like here. It's great fun." Can anybody clear up this doubt, and possibly show some grammar link where this is backed up in reasonable depth? Thanks.

Re: I like + "it" + here/there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    I've never found a single book going into the specifics on how one can't simply say, e.g., "I like here. It's great fun." Can anybody clear up this doubt, and possibly show some grammar link where this is backed up in reasonable depth? Thanks.
    Yes, that is puzzling. Like is a transitive verb, so it does require an object. But why can't "here" be an object? You can say "I like it (that is, the condition of being in this place) here" or "I like to be here." You can even say "the here and now!" But "I like here" is not used in normal English. The reason, as I understand it, is that "here" functions primarily as an adverb. While technically it can be a noun, that is an unusual use, hence the awkward sound of "I like here" (without a noun as an object.)

Re: I like + "it" + here/there.

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    Yes, that is puzzling. Like is a transitive verb, so it does require an object. But why can't "here" be an object? You can say "I like it (that is, the condition of being in this place) here" or "I like to be here." You can even say "the here and now!" But "I like here" is not used in normal English. The reason, as I understand it, is that "here" functions primarily as an adverb. While technically it can be a noun, that is an unusual use, hence the awkward sound of "I like here" (without a noun as an object.)
    You could say, " I Iike this place."