• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

Post Vocabulary

Peace be with you. what is the best way to increase the vocabulary and become very learned and be abl to make acdemic presentations without fears. thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Vocabulary

Quote Originally Posted by ucef View Post
    Peace be with you. what is the best way to increase the vocabulary and become very learned and be abl to make acdemic presentations without fears. thanks
    movies, movies, movies, books, movies, movies, radio, UsingEnglish, songs, movies, movies, songs, UsingEnglish, movies, movies, news, songs, books, newspapers, movies, UsingEnglish, movies, ...

That's the way I do! When you are tired of reading a book, watch a movie.
    When you watch/read something interesting come to UsingEnglish and share it with us.

Specifically concerning academic presentations, I recommend that you (i) download and watch some presentations in your interest field and (ii) practise it !! In my case, since I do not have native speakers to talk with, I teach English as a way to improve my speaking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ucef View Post
    That's an interesting question. I often have used flash cards to help me. I retain the words best, however, when I learn whole sentences. This has helped me a great deal with German and Spanish and I would imagine it would with English.

Flip-O-Matic has some excellent books that do this. I used their Spanish version but they do have some good things in English.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    movies, movies, movies, books, movies, movies, radio, UsingEnglish, songs, movies, movies, songs, UsingEnglish, movies, movies, news, songs, books, newspapers, movies, UsingEnglish, movies, ...

That's the way I do! When you are tired of reading a book, watch a movie.
    When you watch/read something interesting come to UsingEnglish and share it with us.

Specifically concerning academic presentations, I recommend that you (i) download and watch some presentations in your interest field and (ii) practise it !! In my case, since I do not have native speakers to talk with, I teach English as a way to improve my speaking skills.
    Those are excellent suggestions. In fact, I would listen to Yminsky. For someone who has never traveled to an English-speaking country he has done an amazing job of learning the language.