No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a shame that the fluency drops on waking up. ;-)

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
blacknomi said:
Learning a second or foreign language is supper HARD. I've been learning English for more than 10 years. During my childhood and adolescence, English was an subject that was not used to communicate but to pass monthly stupid test. During college, English was evev farther away because we had different majors at school. Mine is education, all textbooks and projects are done in my mother tougue. In the past decades, English was taught in a rote learning way, every student seemed to be a ROBOT who can response to all questions AUTOMATICALLY without any one second hesitation. We had to memorize endless and tedious rules and vocabularies in order to pass the tests, and to get the certificates or degrees.

Now, it's changed. We teach English in a more communicative and interesting way, but the result is not what I expected. Students don't need to talk with foreigners, what turned out to be is the purpose of learning English is JUST not to fail in the exam. THAT's IT. I don't see any students who learn English for a communicative purpose. Say 1 out of 50 would do that. Pathetic, our education system sucks.

The most reverberating dispute on language learning is the lack of natural, practical and physical language environment. You can easily create an atmosphere of learning a language by turning on your TV and stay tune to English programs, or listening to English radio all over the world thru broadband internet. But, how to practice your speaking ability?

Learning English is one thing, speaking it is another.

When I write an essay, I can pause to ponder over the tense. When I talk, I have to manipulate two codes. Switching codes is not an easy task because of different grammatical systems. It's easy to make mistakes that even you want to slap on yourself.

If you have a conversation with a foreigner, it's a headache.

What makes real conversation difficult?
(A) clustering
(B) redundancy
(C) performance forms, like hesitations, false starts, caughs...etc
(D) colloquial language, like idioms, slangs or reduced froms
(E) rate of delivery
(F) stree, accent, rhythem and intonation
(G)Interaction, like negociation, attending signals, turn taking and topic nomination, maintenance and termination.

It's a chain of listening and responding.

I agree this is a rather good language forum where gibberish topics are forbidden. I'm not saying topics other than language are worthless. But there's a one bad, how can learners practice speaking ability here? hehehe.

Sorry for bad grammar. :wink:

Your post reminds of something. Every so often I speak with students that have passed the TOEFL exam. While this clearly demonstrates an advanced knowledge of English grammar, doing well on the TOEFL exam doesn't always translate to being able to speak well.

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
tdol said:
It's a shame that the fluency drops on waking up. ;-)

I've had a few tutoring sessions with someone that has passed the TOEFL exam. He now has to pass the TSE - Test of Spoken English. Despite having passed the TOEFL exam, his spoken English is really lacking. The test is in about a week and a half. I hope he passes it. He needs to pass it in order to continue on at pharmacy college.

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi blacknomi,
could you please tell us all how one as a foreigner without going abroad is able to speak English fluently in one's dreams?
Thank you !
Weiqun Ding.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
weiqun ding said:
Hi blacknomi,
could you please tell us all how one as a foreigner without going abroad is able to speak English fluently in one's dreams?
Thank you !
Weiqun Ding.

Yea, you just got the point there!
A non-native speaker can speak English fluently and accurately in his dreams.

By the way, I suggest you that you change the signature. It's a bit long and eats up cache, though I don't think so. :p

nikenike

I'm not learn other second language yet beside English, because I've learn it for 8 years but nothing improves and finally I think learn second language is hard :).

I ever learn by novel, but poorly the novels have much difficult vocabulary and text analysis, so I never read it all :D.

Hopefully this forum will help me much in reading and writing because I can be an active member here ;).

Annie Sun

Why we need to discuss on this topic?Different people have different opinion,No matter what you think of it, easy or hard, you must go on study if it's your own choice.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Learning a second or foreign language is supper HARD. I've been learning English for more than 10 years. During my childhood and adolescence, English was an subject that was not used to communicate but to pass monthly stupid test. During college, English was evev farther away because we had different majors at school. Mine is education, all textbooks and projects are done in my mother tougue. In the past decades, English was taught in a rote learning way, every student seemed to be a ROBOT who can response to all questions AUTOMATICALLY without any one second hesitation. We had to memorize endless and tedious rules and vocabularies in order to pass the tests, and to get the certificates or degrees.

This describes the precise reason that makes learning any language difficult.

Now, it's changed. We teach English in a more communicative and interesting way, but the result is not what I expected. Students don't need to talk with foreigners, what turned out to be is the purpose of learning English is JUST not to fail in the exam. THAT's IT. I don't see any students who learn English for a communicative purpose. Say 1 out of 50 would do that. Pathetic, our education system sucks.

Even with the changes in appraoch, these new communicative approaches are still, by and large, terrible. The major problem is that they don't have a REAL connection to reality, so students never become natural speakers. If these communicative approaches truly focused on reality, ie. the target language would gradually become the functioning language in class, then real communication would be achieved.

Annie, can I ask you, what country's education system are you talking about; the one that sucks?

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
It depends on many reasons. First of all it depends which is your native tongue as there are some languages that resembles with the English language. Secondly it depends where you learn it: by yourself, with native English people or in group with your friend. And, of course, it depends on your motivation: why do you want to learn it?
Have a nice day!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:
languages that resemble the English language
:)

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
If you like it than I'm sure it is an easy one. Everithing we like is easy!

have a nice day!

student-teacher

Member Type
Other
hi,:)

learning English is not so hard, but one should be determined to learn this language and he/she will succeed.

F

Fleur de mort

In fact i can't speak english in fluent cause the english language is not hard no it's need to talking with people with experience and efficiency
and thes is what is lacking
i'm sorry fo my language but i'm trying
thank you dear
arabian girl
faten

MooieOgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well, to me English is harder than French and both are WAY easier than Dutch...By comparison, I'd say English easy, French very easy, Dutch hard.
To make it short, it depends a lot on your mother tongue...as well as on a willing disposition and constant dedication ;-)
Not surprisingly, the speaking part is the hardest to achieve...maybe we should all start importing native speakers so we learners can practise! :lol:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
English is not only an easy language to learn but it's also a very interesting and enjoyable language. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.