Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
British English is harder to learn than American English!

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I'd guess it's like learning guitar. Maybe not the easiest instrument, but because everyone learns it, there's a lot of support and material out there. And there's always someone to jam with. :mrgreen:

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
I think it's quite easy to get a basic grasp on the language , but as with any other language it takes a lot of work and quite some time to achieve a level of proficiency

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
You know what would be interesting? If we could go through all the people who've voted, and noted their native languages. I have a feeling that those whose native tongue is either Germanic or Latin-based will usually find English relatively easy, while those whose native tongue is, say, Arabic or Japanese might have more difficulty.

wanli

Member Type
English Teacher
It always come back to a person's attitude when learning a language is concerned, irrespective of what languages. If a person has a strong determination in learning a language either for communication purposes or academic purposes, he or she will definitely manage to learn that particular language. So, I don't believe that learning English is hard. Once you have the positive attitude, it's never hard to learn English. :)

kamiran

Member Type
Student or Learner
I can say that it is not an easy language:-:)-(. Because we always need some people who can speak English very good.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
British English is harder to learn than American English!

I thought it was American English rather. :lol:

English is espacially easy to begin but wether you want really to learn it, that becomes harder and harder.

Waa

Member Type
Student or Learner
I believe it is easy. for a foreigner Croatian might seem difficult, all those cases [I think], pronouns, anomalies, complicated verbs and everything - so comparing to Croatian, English is definetely easier.
:)

Mihai_alexandru

Member Type
Student or Learner
It depends where you are from. For a Romanian, I don't think it is that difficult. It also has an advantage over other other languages, because it is used in wide-spread devices like the computer, making it easier to get used to for many people. :)

Chakotay

Member Type
Student or Learner
[FONT=&quot]For me English is very hard to learn, I have problems to think in English and to speak in the same time. I don’t have problems to understand the meaning of the words, but when I have to use a word correctly it become complicated, but I guess it has something to do with the fact that I use English only three hours per week on my English class [/FONT]

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
is english an easy to learn language

...for a lower intermediate one?

no it isn't.

Learning, one becomes to being conscious that knows almost nothing actually.
Now it's harder to decide how to do (tide up) words in a sentence then before.
And of course many words are missing. :mrgreen:

In addition when I recall for example verb "keep", which in coherence with many phrasal prepositions and as a phrasal verb in all those phrases, has almost hundred of different meanings, one who is not English native, loses his willingness to keep on doing hard.

And at last if there's no chance to listen to a native speaker for more than five minutes per year when one by chance meets native one in town, how to take off from the intermediate level which hopefully can be reached visiting forums and studying a few original books written in Britain and luckily printed in China. :roll:

Last edited:

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
[FONT=&quot]For me English is very hard to learn, I have problems to think in English and to speak in the same time. I don’t have problems to understand the meaning of the words, but when I have to use a word correctly it become complicated, but I guess it has something to do with the fact that I use English only three hours per week on my English class [/FONT]

1h30 a week at my university in France. :shock:

I teach myself to progress and come in here, too. :-D

nguyenngocvb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Really? is it easy to learn? why do you think so when i was young, i used to be very fond of it but now it is my problem. especially when i started to get into the university
my teacher, Vietnamese teacher, said that it had to be learned day by day What do you think if your mark at the university is very bad? i had to study more and more studiously to get more i nearly died when i got mark 2 because the test was too difficult. The grammar was far from what we had learned before.
speaking skill was so terrible that i couldn't say nothing when i got out of the class from university.
Give me some more suggestions? thank for that

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1h30 a week at my university in France. :shock:

I teach myself to progress and come in here, too. :-D

D'après ma femme, qui parle Anglais couramment, c'est beaucoup plus facile
que Français. (Elle est prof.):)

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
D'après ma femme, qui parle Anglais couramment, c'est beaucoup plus facile
que Français. (Elle est prof.):)

I also agree to say: French is more difficult than English. You have the genders, plenty of conjuguaison, lots of exceptions (a lot of in English too). Well, it is definitely harder of writing/speaking French than writing/speaking English. You must surely speak French, I guess. What do you think about it?

However, most of French are having trouble to learn English. Why?
On a side, we have got a poor system of teaching (that is not the fault to our teacher but rather to the number of hours we have a week). What do you think when students have only 1h30 a week? :-( Therefore, if we wish to improve our English, we are automatically obliged to teach ourselves.
On another side, I have to obviously admit that a lot of French prefer having just their French language than getting another. Most are autosatisfied from our own language. Hence a trouble...

English is the most speking language in the world. Here is why I am here. :-D

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I also agree to say: French is more difficult than English. You have the genders, plenty of conjuguaison, lots of exceptions (a lot of in English too). Well, it is definitely harder of writing/speaking French than writing/speaking English. You must surely speak French, I guess. What do you think about it?

However, most of French are having trouble to learn English. Why?
On a side, we have got a poor system of teaching (that is not the fault to our teacher but rather to the number of hours we have a week). What do you think when students have only 1h30 a week? :-( Therefore, if we wish to improve our English, we are automatically obliged to teach ourselves.
On another side, I have to obviously admit that a lot of French prefer having just their French language than getting another. Most are autosatisfied from our own language. Hence a trouble...

English is the most speking language in the world. Here is why I am here. :-D

Yes, I do speak French, not as well as I should, but I find the gender and the grammer "un peut tordue.":)

lliekamia

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello guys,

the topic catch me interest,
will for me, learning English is more easier than to other foreign languages,
agree?

I cant explain why it is easy for me to understand English
than to German,French and others.
maybe because English language is being used anywhere.
I mean most of the people or foreigner speaks English, and also
channels on television speaks it more often.

you guys?
wanna agree with me?

liekamia

mctex38

Member Type
English Teacher
yes, I do believe so... As long as you are interested in learning the language from the basics to the advanced topics, I´m sure you will learn fast.. English language will open you to the world because it is the international language.. Just search, ask for help, practice your vocabulary and soon you will be fluent in speaking and good in writing.. Just be more patient and your drive for learning the language will lead you to be successful.. its easy you know just have the will and the strong desire to achieve your goal... goodluck...

paja.serbia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
By learning English I have come to realise that no language is hard to learn if you have the will and desire to learn it. By knowing English you have the advantage over the ones who do not and taking into account that the world is becoming a Global Village, knowledge of a certain global language can help you tremendously to get by in today's globalised world and consequently, you will be better off if you know English or any other globally spoken language. By realising this, you can help yourself to provoke that inner hunger for learning English and any other language you have a wish to learn and as a result no language will be hard for you.

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
By learning English I have come to realise that no language is hard to learn if you have the will and desire to learn it. By knowing English you have the advantage over the ones who do not and taking into account that the world is becoming a Global Village, knowledge of a certain global language can help you tremendously to get by in today's globalised world and consequently, you will be better off if you know English or any other globally spoken language. By realising this, you can help yourself to provoke that inner hunger for learning English and any other language you have a wish to learn and as a result no language will be hard for you.
Well said. Short and sweet, Congratulations!:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.