• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

use "the" to describe something at begining of a letter?

Hi everyone. I have a question and want to get your answers about this.
    At the beginning of a letter, whether I can use "the" to describe some thing that talked at title of letter. Below letter is an example:

Title: NEW YEAR WISHES from the Toastmasters Club
    Sender:xx
    Receiver: xx

Dear all,

Here’s the message from the English Club. Hope you’re interested in the info and join with us next time.
    Hi all,
    On behalf of the Toastmasters Club, I would like to send all the best wishes to you and your families. May this New Year bring newly found prosperity, love, happiness and delight in your life.
    Regards,

Sender:xx
    According to me, "the" at here is right, because "message" touched upon title(NEW YEAR WISHES), but one my friend said that I should use "a" in this case. So which word is right?
    Any help from you will be appreciated cordially. Thanks
    Last edited by ZaraCastle; 28-Dec-2009 at 15:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: use "the" to describe something at begining of a letter?

bump. Anyone can help me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by ZaraCastle View Post

Dear all,

Here’s the message from the English Club. Hope you’re interested in the info and join with us next time.
    Hi all,
    On behalf of the Toastmasters Club, I would like to send all the best wishes to you and your families. May this New Year bring newly found prosperity, love, happiness and delight in your life.
    Regards,
    As far as I understand there is no problem with your definite article "the", it is OK. If everybody is expecting that English Club message, you should indeed use it, because it is a special message ("the" message). Let us say, for instance, that the English Club sends a special message by the end of each year. However, if it is a sudden message, not expected, then it is better to say "Here's a message from ... "

PS Not a native speaker

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    As far as I understand there is no problem with your definite article "the", it is OK. If everybody is expecting that English Club message, you should indeed use it, because it is a special message ("the" message). Let us say, for instance, that the English Club sends a special message by the end of each year. However, if it is a sudden message, not expected, then it is better to say "Here's a message from ... "

PS Not a native speaker
    Hi ymnisky,
    Thanks for your response. In this case, whether I can base on information from title of letter to say that I should use "the" instead of "a"?! E.g. I have a message and I don't read content of it yet(but I can guess content of this message). In addition, can you tell me why I shouldn't use "with" to go with "join"? I read some documents and I still see "join with" in sentences.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi ymnisky,
    Thanks for your response. In this case, whether I can base on information from title of letter to say that I should use "the" instead of "a"?! E.g. I have a message and I don't read content of it yet(but I can guess content of this message).
    I am sorry, I couldn't understand you above. Could you please try to rephrase?
    As I said before, you may use the article "the" with your message, being it a special one.

In addition, can you tell me why I shouldn't use "with" to go with "join"? I read some documents and I still see "join with" in sentences.
    I just didn't know that use of "join" with the preposition "with". I have just checked and indeed there are some ocurrences of it in the Internet. Maybe a native speaker could explain it better to us (whether "join with" can be used and what its meaning is).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have seen "join with" in some places. For instance:

"Join With Us in Prayer Worship at General Synod 2007
    We encourage you, in parishes and families across the country, to join with us in prayer during the meeting of General Synod. Posted here are descriptions of some of the liturgical details of General Synod: What biblical texts we will be reading, hymns sung, and so forth. Also posted here are the daily Bible Studies, with questions for reflection."

extracted from Join With Us in Prayer: Worship at General Synod 2007

Now I pass the question to someone else:
    What is the difference between "join us" and "join with us"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I am sorry, I couldn't understand you above. Could you please try to rephrase?
    As I said before, you may use the article "the" with your message, being it a special one.
    Hi ymnisky, I mean that, with information from title of message (inform to reader first, reader already know it before they read content of letter), whether I can use "the message" instead of "a message"?! Because you said that, in case of the suddenness, it is better to use "a message". "better" means that it is absolutely correct and logical to use "a message", but use "the message" is still ok, right ?. Thanks very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi ymnisky, I mean that, with information from title of message (inform to reader first, reader already know it before they read content of letter), whether I can use "the message" instead of "a message"?! Because you said that, in case of the suddenness, it is better to use "a message". "better" means that it is absolutely correct and logical to use "a message", but use "the message" is still ok, right ?. Thanks very much.
    OK, I think I understand your question now.
    Use "a" instead of "the".