Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #1

    "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Hello,
    Long time ago, I learned something about "need".
    If it's alone, you need a "do".

    I don't need any money to be happy.

    So, if the "need" is linked to another verb, you can use it this way:
    I need not to watch this movie because I already know it. - right
    Instead of:
    I don't need to watch this movie because I already know it. - unneeded

    Is this correct so far?

    The next thing:
    What about the questions?
    Don't I need any money to be happy? - I think this is okay.
    Now I cannot imagine how to write sentence 2 as a question.
    Need I not to watch this movie because I already know it? - not sure!
    Instead of:
    Don't I need to watch this movie because I already know it? - no idea!

    Are there other verbs like "need" which do not need the "do"?
    I thought words like "must", "should" etc. are such words.

    This reminds me a bit of an old thread of mine:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...6-must-do.html

    Cheers!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    #2

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    The do is related to the not, more than the need.
    I do not need money
    I need money. (it is wrong to say I not need money)

    If you say, I do need money, it is an emphatic: Really! I DO need money!

    You may say, I need not watch the movie (rather archaic but correct), or I don't need to watch the movie (more contemporary).

  2. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #3

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    The do is related to the not, more than the need.
    I do not need money
    I need money. (it is wrong to say I not need money)

    If you say, I do need money, it is an emphatic: Really! I DO need money!

    You may say, I need not watch the movie (rather archaic but correct), or I don't need to watch the movie (more contemporary).
    I needn't explain it anymore.
    I need not (to) explain it anymore.

    They allow us to say
    I need do it.
    I need to do it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #4

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    Long time ago, I learned something about "need".
    If it's alone, you need a "do".

    I don't need any money to be happy.

    So, if the "need" is linked to another verb, you can use it this way:
    I need not to watch this movie because I already know it. - right
    Instead of:
    I don't need to watch this movie because I already know it. - unneeded

    Is this correct so far?

    The next thing:
    What about the questions?
    Don't I need any money to be happy? - I think this is okay.
    Now I cannot imagine how to write sentence 2 as a question.
    Need I not to watch this movie because I already know it? - not sure!
    Instead of:
    Don't I need to watch this movie because I already know it? - no idea!

    Are there other verbs like "need" which do not need the "do"?
    I thought words like "must", "should" etc. are such words.

    This reminds me a bit of an old thread of mine:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...6-must-do.html

    Cheers!
    In interrogatives and negatives, 'need' can function (primarily in BrE) as a modal verb, yielding e.g.

    He need not come here tomorrow.
    Need I remind you of that?

    Note that, when modal, it conforms completely to a modal pattern, being invariable as to person in the present indicative and inverting with its subject without the aid of an auxiliary.

    In positive statements, however, it functions only as a full verb, e.g.

    He needs to come here tomorrow.

    except when modified by a negative or restrictive adverbial, in which case the modal form is possible, albeit rather formal and literary-sounding, e.g.

    I need hardly remind you of that.
    He need come here tomorrow only if there is urgent work to be done.

    Similar comments apply to the verb 'dare', which may however additionally be modal in the positive assertive set expression I dare say...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 1,211
    #5

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    I needn't explain it anymore. (OK)
    I need not (to) explain it anymore. (drop the "to")

    They allow us to say
    I need do it. (Wrong)
    I need to do it. (Right)

  3. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #6

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    I needn't explain it anymore. (OK)
    I need not (to) explain it anymore. (drop the "to")

    They allow us to say
    I need do it. (Wrong)
    I need to do it. (Right)
    I did not say they need do that.

    A bit archaic yes, wrong, yes, nowadays maybe.

  4. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #7

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Thank you guys!

    @philo2009:
    Is it okay not to add an s?
    He need_ not come here tomorrow.
    Because it is the short version of:
    He does not need to come here tomorrow.

    ?

    Need I not (to) watch this movie because I already know it?
    So I guess this sentence is right at all!

    Cheers!

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    ...question directed to philo ...

    Need I not (to) watch this movie because I already know it?
    Omit the "to"
    So I guess this sentence is right at all!

    Cheers!
    I think, in this context, you mean 'I don't need to watch this movie, because I already know it.' There's no question, unless you mean 'Does my having seen this movie before release me from the obligation to see it again?'

    Incidentally, 'at all' should follow a negative (example, 'not right at all). You mean 'So I guess this sentence is right after all!'

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #9

    Re: "need not" instead of "don't need"

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post

    @philo2009:
    Is it okay not to add an s?
    He need_ not come here tomorrow.
    Because it is the short version of:
    He does not need to come here tomorrow.

    No, it is not (nor is it a 'short version' of anything)!

    As stated previously, when functioning as a modal verb it is fully modal: no 'do' to make interrogatives, no 'to' to link with other infinitives and no 's' in the 3rd person.

Similar Threads

  1. the difference between "could not" and " can not"?
    By shajuju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2008, 14:32
  2. [General] "may not" and "might not" etc...
    By gopikoundinya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2008, 13:20
  3. "needn't" or "don't need" ???
    By onetwothree in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2007, 15:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •