Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6
    #1

    Using and with not

    Is the following sentence correct?

    I could not visit Lotus Mahal and Red Fort and a lot more in Delhi.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    #2

    Re: Using and with not

    I'm not a teacher...but let me try:

    "I could not visit Lotus Mahal and Red Fort and [other places in] Delhi."

    or

    "There are lots of places in Delhi that I did not visit. Lotus Mahal and Red Fort are two of them."

    I'm still confused with "could not" and "did not".. Aha!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #3

    Re: Using and with not

    Quote Originally Posted by rramu View Post
    Is the following sentence correct?

    I could not visit Lotus Mahal and Red Fort and a lot more in Delhi.
    Yes, it is correct.
    Other options are:
    "I could not visit Lotus Mahal nor Red Fort nor a lot of other friends/people in Delhi."
    "I could not visit Lotus Mahal, Red Fort nor a lot of other friends/people in Delhi."

    PS Not a native speaker


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    #4

    Re: Using and with not

    I thought Lotus Mahal and Red Fort are places in Delhi!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #5

    Re: Using and with not

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    I'm not a teacher...but let me try:

    "I could not visit Lotus Mahal and Red Fort and [other places in] Delhi."

    or

    "There are lots of places in Delhi that I did not visit. Lotus Mahal and Red Fort are two of them."

    I'm still confused with "could not" and "did not".. Aha!
    Oh, these are places! In fact beautiful landmarks from India !!

    So, you could say:
    "I could not visit Lotus Mahal, Red Fort nor a lot of other places/landmarks in Delhi."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #6

    Re: Using and with not

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    I thought Lotus Mahal and Red Fort are places in Delhi!
    Yes, they are! I didn't know that. Sorry about that.
    And they seem to be beautiful places !

  2. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #7

    Re: Using and with not

    Quote Originally Posted by rramu View Post
    Is the following sentence correct?

    I could not visit Lotus Mahal and Red Fort and a lot more in Delhi.
    I would say "I was not able to" instead of "I could not." "Could not" is acceptable but it does sound somewhat awkward.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •