• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

otherworldly

Hi

In other words, all of these traditions (Buddhism, Jainism ...) are otherworldly, or dualist. They donít hark back to the pre-Fall vision of the world in a complete way because they donít see the whole of the material world as the manifestation of spirit-force.

--- Does "otherworldly" mean "mysterious" here?

Re: otherworldly

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

In other words, all of these traditions (Buddhism, Jainism ...) are otherworldly, or dualist. They donít hark back to the pre-Fall vision of the world in a complete way because they donít see the whole of the material world as the manifestation of spirit-force.

not even close. In this context it means that they are dualist. this means they think that soul and body are separated. the soul will, after the body has died, go to another world (think of plato and his horse-drawn carriage story)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi

No. In this context - as it says 'dualist' - it means 'relating to this world and another world' (for Christianity, the one would be the world and the other would be Heaven).

Of course, some people might see this belief as mysterious, but that's not what 'otherworldly' means.

(If you register, you can get responses to 'your' posts mailed to you.)

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Hi

Thanks for the answer. I think I know what "dualist" means, however I'm still not sure about "otherwordly". To me it means "from a different world". So it says that these traditions are from a different world which means that they are dualist. However, the phrase "from a different world" sounds a bit strange to me?

We were writing at the same time Bob.
    You wrote that "otherworldly" means 'relating to this world and another world'. In a dictionary I've found: "relating to, or characteristic of another world, especially a mystical or transcendental world".

So to me "otherwordly" means something like "from a different/another world".

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the answer. I think I know what "dualist" means, however I'm still not sure about "otherwordly". To me it means "from a different world". So it says that these traditions are from a different world which means that they are dualist. However, the phrase "from a different world" sounds a bit strange to me?
    It has nothing to do with them coming from another world. It just means they believe in another world that's 'above' us. and if you die you will go to this world (your soul will go). because your soul is native to this otherworldly world and your body is from this world.
    of course if you've never had a class of philosophy in you life it's not more than natural that you don't understand this term.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi

We were writing at the same time Bob.
    You wrote that "otherworldly" means 'relating to this world and another world'. In a dictionary I've found: "relating to, or characteristic of another world, especially a mystical or transcendental world".

So to me "otherwordly" means something like "from a different/another world".

Thanks
    That's why I said 'in this context'. I've never met the word 'otherworldly' used to mean "dualistic", but presumably that is the meaning the writer had in mind.

If I say 'My Aunt Marie was very otherworldly' I don't mean she was an extra-terrestrial alien! I mean that she lived her life in a walled convent and didn't treat the things of this world as in any way important.

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That's why I said 'in this context'. I've never met the word 'otherworldly' used to mean "dualistic", but presumably that is the meaning the writer had in mind.

If I say 'My Aunt Marie was very otherworldly' I don't mean she was an extra-terrestrial alien! I mean that she lived her life in a walled convent and didn't treat the things of this world as in any way important.

b
    I know that. I wasn't correcting your answer but the answer of the author.
    Last edited by meee; 29-Dec-2009 at 17:17.