Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #1

    ya and yous = plural of you?

    Hello,
    I always rolled my eyes when I read such things as "ya".
    To me it was senseless slang crap
    (No offense, but I hate people who garble languages).

    However:
    I read that "ya" is mainly used when someone speaks to some guys.
    Instead of:
    Would you all please listen to me?
    Would ya please listen to me?

    Of course people can make it as I did:
    you all, you both, you guys, you bunch etc.

    And what about "yous"?
    Does this word still exist?
    (If it existed once.)

    Do yous know anything about this?

    P.S. As said: I'm not a slang fan, but the "ya" and "yous" (in this case) make sense!

    Cheers!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #2

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    "ya" and "yous" are not proper words. And I'm not sure what you mean by saying they "make sense".

  2. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #3

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    And I'm not sure what you mean by saying they "make sense".
    Because "you" is both singular and plural.
    Let's imagine that someone else replied to this thread, too.

    My answer:
    "You are right!"
    Well, who is "you"?
    You, 2006?
    Or he?
    Or you both?

    I know I could write "You all are right!", but not everyone puts an "all" or something else behind the "you".

    So that's why I said it makes sense to me, because everyone would know it's adressed to all replies here.
    (If "ya" and "yous" would actually exist...)

    Cheers!

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    I have certainly HEARD "youz guys" as a very regionalized way to say "you all" and the American South has "y'all" (which I do see written down).

    However, I would advise against ever saying "youz" (or "yous") because if you're not from the area where this is said, you will sound ridiculous.

    We do say "ya" in quick speech ("How ya doin'?") but I wouldn't write it that way.

    In short, just stick with "you" in almost call cases.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #5

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    We do say "ya" in quick speech ("How ya doin'?") but I wouldn't write it that way.
    But I guess you say that to mean both the singular and plural forms, don't you?

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #6

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    I've got enough Southern influence that you'll hear "y'all" from me.

    In quick speech, you'll her "you all" as "yuh-all."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #7

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello,
    I always rolled my eyes when I read such things as "ya".
    To me it was senseless slang crap
    (No offense, but I hate people who garble languages).
    We are kindred spirits, Nightmare. However, I would tone down my criticism towards people with a frivolous style of writing. In place of 'hate', I would use 'disagree.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #8

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Thanks.



    Because "you" is both singular and plural.
    Let's imagine that someone else replied to this thread, too.

    My answer:
    "You are right!"
    Well, who is "you"?
    You, 2006?
    Or he?
    Or you both?

    I know I could write "You all are right!", but not everyone puts an "all" or something else behind the "you".

    So that's why I said it makes sense to me, because everyone would know it's adressed to all replies here.
    (If "ya" and "yous" would actually exist...)

    Cheers!
    Yes, after I wrote that I realized that you meant that 'yous' could serve as the plural of "you". But I didn't bother to change my reply.

    I'm not sure that 'ya' is used for ''you all'. It is used for "you".
    "y'all" is short for "you all".

  5. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #9

    Re: ya and yous = plural of you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    We are kindred spirits, Nightmare. However, I would tone down my criticism towards people with a frivolous style of writing. In place of 'hate', I would use 'disagree.
    I agree with you.
    "Hate" is a bit excessive (if this is the right word for it).

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Yes, after I wrote that I realized that you meant that 'yous' could serve as the plural of "you". But I didn't bother to change my reply.
    No problem

    -------------

    Okay, after all, I think "you guys" and "you all" are (or is?) the cleanest version which all people should understand

    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Yous
    By banderas in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2008, 07:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •