• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

does/doing

Hi

Can I say about someone who started his studies, say, in September and will finish in June that: "He is doing postgraduate studies" or maybe "He does postgraduate studies". Although I don't think that present simple sounds good here.

Re: does/doing

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

Can I say about someone who started his studies, say, in September and will finish in June that: "He is doing postgraduate studies" or maybe "He does postgraduate studies". Although I don't think that present simple sounds good here.
    because it's an action in the present and it will continue for quite some time, you have to use the present continuous. so the first is correct

Re: does/doing

Quote Originally Posted by meee View Post
    because it's an action in the present and it will continue for quite some time, you have to use the present continuous. so the first is correct
    Sorry for "a little bit sci-fi off-topic" question, but let's take a look at this case. He is a professor who teaches something from "postgraduates studies", astrophysics, modern economy, pediatric medicine... whatever.

Could we say that he "does" postgraduate studies? In the meaning that he teaches it as a professor for postgraduate students? It is his job, so he does it. Or not?

Please, let me know what you think about it. Thanks.