• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi, please help me to correcr this one))

Hi:
    I'm having trouble with contracting sentence.
    Which one of them grammar-error free and sounds good for somewhat-formal letter??

I'm sorry for stating it like this, i should have asked you before putting your name on that application, but I'm trying to make it as fast as possible.

I'm sorry for stating this way, I should have to asked you before putting your name on that application, but I'm trying to make this as fast as possible.

Thank you so much for your help.
    If you can, please explain mistakes so i won't make them again.

Re: Hi, please help me to correcr this one))

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Yaga View Post
    Hi:
    Which one of them grammar-error free and sounds good for somewhat-formal letter??

I'm sorry for stating it like this, i should have asked you before putting your name on that application, but I'm trying to make it as fast as possible.

I'm sorry for stating this way, I should have to asked you before putting your name on that application, but I'm trying to make this as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Yaga View Post
    Hi:

The second sentence is clearly not correct. "I should have asked" is the appropriate phrase. But the first sentence is not very clear to me. The first clause isn't very clear and doesn't seem to relate to the rest of the sentence; in any case it has to be followed by more than a comma.

In other words, I understand you when you write:
    I should have asked you before putting your name on that application, but I'm trying to make it as fast as possible.

But the first clause should be rewritten to make it relate to the rest of the sentence. Please try it again.