• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

2 English Questions

Dear all,

I have two TOEIC Reading Questions and I hope someone will hope me with them.

1. It has been reported that the two neighboring cities have signed a _______ economic cooperation agreement.
    (A) monotonous (B) superficial (C) bilateral (D) multiple

2. In the past, Gradian Co. had released new versions of existing models every 8 months at _______.
    (A) first (B) all (C) best (D) once

Thank you in advance!

Re: 2 English Questions

Quote Originally Posted by sula54 View Post
    Dear all,

1. It has been reported that the two neighboring cities have signed a _______ economic cooperation agreement.

2. In the past, Gradian Co. had released new versions of existing models every 8 months at _______.

Thank you in advance!
    the first is C, because A makes no sense, D would require a plural form and B is a poor choice of words
    the second is A, but I'm not quite sure

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by sula54 View Post
    Dear all,

Thank you in advance!
    We don't do people's assignments for them. However, someone has given you the answer to the first one; now you try the second.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    We don't do people's assignments for them. However, someone has given you the answer to the first one; now you try the second.
    Sorry~ I forgot to attach the answers and my problems.
    They are not my assignments. These questions are from a TOEIC test book and after I read the explanations I still can’t get the point.

Now I understand the first one why the answer should be (C) not (D) due to the plural form.

Thank you.

And about the second one, the answer is (C), but why can’t it be (A) since “at first” can mean “in the beginning”.

The explanation in the book says “at best” mean “the most” here, so the meaning of the sentence is “In the past, the most frequent period for the company to release new versions was “every 8 months”.”<= (The explanation is in Chinese so I am not quite sure my translation close to the original meaning.)

However, I don’t know why I can’t understand the sentence in this way “Before, this company released the new versions every 8months in the beginning, but then…”
    Is it because the words “existing models”? I guess because “at first” means “from the very beginning“ and if it is “from the very beginning” then there were no “existing models” for the company to “release new versions”, but is this understanding wrong or right?

Also, why does this question “In the past, Gradian Co. had released new versions of existing models every 8 months at _______.” use past perfect tense?

Thank you all teachers.