• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

will or would

Please do not park your car near the school or it will/would cause traffic congestion.

Which word in bold should I use?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: will or would

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Please do not park your car near the school or/as it will/would cause traffic congestion.

Thanks in advance.
    It depends on the person who gives the advice to the driver of the car. If he is certain that the parking is going to cause traffic congestion then ‘will’ is the right word. However if it is question of possibility, then ‘would’ can be used. Please use the conjunction 'as' which is indicative of reason, in place 'or' .
    Last edited by sarat_106; 01-Jan-2010 at 14:36.

Re: will or would

(Not a teacher)

I would say use 'will'. There is no need to be leniant if you are trying to force people to do something - that is, not park somewhere. Even if you aren't sure whether it would or would not cause traffic congestion, saying 'will' justifies the request more.

Also, if you wanted to show uncertainty, you would use 'may', not 'would' - 'would' is the past of 'will'.
    Last edited by Linguist__; 01-Jan-2010 at 14:50. Reason: Added part in red

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Please do not park your car near the school or it will/would cause traffic congestion.

Thanks in advance.
    Use "will", "would" is not correct in the sentence as it is.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    (Not a teacher)

Also, if you wanted to show uncertainty, you would use 'may', not 'would' - 'would' is the past of 'will'.
    Is the "would", in bold red, in your sentence the past tense of "will"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linguist__
    (Not a teacher)

Is the "would", in bold red, in your sentence the past tense of "will"?

In my opinion.'would' is not the past tense of 'will' in the sentence posted by Linguist.

Is it correct to use 'wanted'? Shouldn't it be 'want'?

Thanks in advance.

I thought 'would' is always the past tense of 'will'. It's function might differ somewhat - it's used to give advice, it's used to express conditional mood (which is what the 'would' in my sentence is), among other things. The word 'would', however, remains the past tense/participle of 'will' regardless of its function. Is my obvservation wrong?

As for the 'want' or 'wanted', I'm not sure of any difference other than tense. In which case, it could be either past or present (future). Past as in 'If you wanted to show uncertainty in the original sentence you posted...', present (future) as in 'if you want to show uncertainty when you write the original sentence you posted'. But this is just nit-picking

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I thought 'would' is always the past tense of 'will'. It's function might differ somewhat - it's used to give advice, it's used to express conditional mood (which is what the 'would' in my sentence is), among other things. The word 'would', however, remains the past tense/participle of 'will' regardless of its function. Is my obvservation wrong?
    There is a difference between saying:
    1. 'Would' is always the past tense of 'will'. and
    2. The past tense of 'will' is always 'would'.
    By saying Also, if you wanted to show uncertainty, you would use 'may', not 'would' - 'would' is the past of 'will'. you are claiming 1, which is wrong.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    There is a difference between saying:
    1. 'Would' is always the past tense of 'will'. and
    2. The past tense of 'will' is always 'would'.
    By saying Also, if you wanted to show uncertainty, you would use 'may', not 'would' - 'would' is the past of 'will'. you are claiming 1, which is wrong.
    "Also, if you wanted to show uncertainty, you would use 'may', not 'would' - 'would' is the past of 'will'.

Can I conclude that the sentence should read "Also, if you want (not 'wanted')to show uncertainly, you may use 'may'..."?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 02-Jan-2010 at 06:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Also, if you wanted to show uncertainty, you would use 'may', not 'would' - 'would' is the past of 'will'.

Can I conclude that the sentence should read "Also, if you want (not 'wanted')to show uncertainly, you may use 'may'..."?

Thanks in advance.
    Both forms "if you wanted" or "if you wanted" are correct. The first one is a little more indirect, it refers the listener to a past situation about which he or she may
    eventually have changed opinon: "Was that what you meant by the time you wrote that post?" The second one is more direct, it refers the listener to a present situation, where he or she still maintains his or her opinion: "Is it what you (still) think about it?"

"If you wanted to show uncertainty" -> "If that was your intention by the time you wrote ... "
    "If you want to show uncertainty" -> "If that is what you mean by saying this and that ... "

Not a native speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast