• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

conjunction

i am confused about the usage of conjunction

1)I crossed the threshold, spoke quickly to the nurse, scanned her chart noting she was in stable condition.

my question is that is it proper to add "and" in front of "scanned her chart"?

it is because there is no conjunction to bond between two clause, we should add a conjunction to connect them.

thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: conjunction

Quote Originally Posted by nono1994 View Post
    i am confused about the usage of conjunction

1)I crossed the threshold, spoke quickly to the nurse, scanned her chart noting she was in stable condition.

my question is that is it proper to add "and" in front of "scanned her chart"?

it is because there is no conjunction to bond between two clause, we should add a conjunction to connect them.

thanks a lot
    ***NOT A TEACHER*** Yes, in written English you would definitely need a conjunction: I crossed the threshold, spoke quickly to the nurse, AND scanned her chart noting (that) she was in stable condition. (In fast conversation, some native speakers might delete the conjunction. It sounds more "dramatic." But it is not recommended that English learners follow such examples. )

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: conjunction

(Not a teacher)

You don't need a conjunction to join them because it's a different clause; more because it is the last action in a series of actions. The first two clauses are fine without a conjunction, but yes, you need 'and' before the last.

What I mean is that you could have kept listing actions with no conjunctions being needed until the last one:

I crossed the threshold, spoke quickly to the nurse, scanned her chart noting she was in stable condition, went to her bed, spoke to the patient, asked how she was doing, gave her a brief examination, and finally decided she should be discharged

You could go on ad infinitum, as long as the last was summed up with a conjunction. At least, I think so?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: conjunction

Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    (Not a teacher)

You don't need a conjunction to join them because it's a different clause; more because it is the last action in a series of actions. The first two clauses are fine without a conjunction, but yes, you need 'and' before the last.

What I mean is that you could have kept listing actions with no conjunctions being needed until the last one:

I crossed the threshold, spoke quickly to the nurse, scanned her chart noting she was in stable condition, went to her bed, spoke to the patient, asked how she was doing, gave her a brief examination, and finally decided she should be discharged

You could go on ad infinitum, as long as the last was summed up with a conjunction. At least, I think so?
    Your presumption is perfectly correct. A comma is used to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last one which is joined by a coordinating conjunction (such as: and, but, or etc.) Your sentence is a fine example satisfying this rule. It is often opined that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary but it is always advisable have it. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 02-Jan-2010 at 04:46.