Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

Can you please tell me which one of the following sentences is more appropriate?

#1 Tom burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.
#2 Tom burnt his hand while he was cooking the dinner.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "when" for this.

Use "while" for two things that are going on at the same time. He simmered the green beans while he carved the roast.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Use "when" for this.

Use "while" for two things that are going on at the same time. He simmered the green beans while he carved the roast.

Yes, I would also use 'when.'
"Tom burned his hand when he was cooking the dinner."
"While" implies two actions which had some duration. Presumably he burned his hand only for a moment, so that does seem to call for "when."

But I believe that you would get away with either form here.

As for burnt, I have always understood that the past of "burn" is "burned." "Burnt" is an adjective, as in "His burnt hand."

But according to this exchange the English might use "burnt" as simple past. (See particularly post number 11.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Can you please tell me which one of the following sentences is more appropriate?

#1 Tom burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.
#2 Tom burnt his hand while he was cooking the dinner.
***NOT A TEACHER***May I join the discussion? I suspect that Americans would be comfortable using either. But I read (Sorry! I forget where) that there is a distinction -- at least among some speakers. So I think some people would say: Tom burned his finger while he was cooking dinner. The explanation is: You did something that took a short time (burned your finger) during an activity that took much more time (cooking the dinner). Similarly: I was cooking when I burned my finger. (Same reasons.)

macanudo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
I think both when and while can be used in this case. 'while' has a feeling of being slightly longer. For example, he kept burning his hand while cooking. But, 'when' has a feeling of a shorter time or a moment in time.

Good question though. I did some research on the differences and wrote a post about the differences - read about when vs. while.

Status
Not open for further replies.