Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    which one

    Let's assume that there are two people in a photo, one of whom is a friend of mine, but I can't quite make out who is who. Which sentence is correct?

    Which one is you?

    Which one are you?

    Thanks.

  1. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #2

    Re: which one

    Which one is you?


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 143
    #3

    Re: which one

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Let's assume that there are two people in a photo, one of whom is a friend of mine, but I can't quite make out who is who. Which sentence is correct?

    Which one is you?

    Which one are you?

    Thanks.
    Hi!

    I'm not a teacher.

    I think along this line:

    The sentence "Which one is you?" has the subject 'which one', the linking verb 'be' and the complement 'you'. So, in my opinion 'is' is the right form of the verb 'to be'. 'You' modifies 'which one' - the subject that is in the third person singular thus forcing us to use 'is'.

    I'm not a native speaker.
    Last edited by omasta; 02-Jan-2010 at 22:15.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,330
    #4

    Re: which one

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Let's assume that there are two people in a photo, one of whom is a friend of mine, but I can't quite make out who is who. Which sentence is correct?

    Which one is you?

    Which one are you?

    Thanks.
    ***NOT A TEACHER*** Good news! An expert in English grammar told me: (1) Both answers are correct. (2) The only difference is the subject. (3) If you think "which one" is the subject, then ask: Which one is you? (4) If you think "you" is the subject, then ask: Which one are you? (5) Either question is "good" English. Thank you for asking the question. It forced me to better understand my native (and only) language.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #5

    Re: which one

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER*** Good news! An expert in English grammar told me: (1) Both answers are correct. (2) The only difference is the subject. (3) If you think "which one" is the subject, then ask: Which one is you? (4) If you think "you" is the subject, then ask: Which one are you? (5) Either question is "good" English. Thank you for asking the question. It forced me to better understand my native (and only) language.
    "Which one are you" sounds better to me, but I thought that "which one" was the only possible subject, thus ruling out "are."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,330
    #6

    Re: which one

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "Which one are you" sounds better to me, but I thought that "which one" was the only possible subject, thus ruling out "are."
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Yes, "Which one are you?" also sounds better to me. Thanks to that expert who helped me, I can say it with 100% confidence. On the other hand, I now understand why a famous grammar book says "Which is you?" is also "good" English.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •