Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is about the post on this great movie《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》,as I'm getting to the end of it.I'd like to thank everyone that answered my posts,without your help and enlightenment,I would not have been able to enjoy it so much.Since it's the last post of this 《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》thread,please allow me to make this last post a little longer,I quoted the whole dialogue between Red and Parole Board Interviewer,I think it's very classic .

Parole Board Interviewer: Please, sit down. Ellis Boyd Redding, your files say you've served 40 years of a life sentence. You feel you've been rehabilitated?

Redding: Rehabilitated? Well, now, let me see. You know, I don't have
any idea what that means.

Parole Board Interviewer: Uh, well, it means you're ready to rejoin society --

Redding: -- I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it's just a made up word, a politician's word, so that young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and have a job. What do you really wanna know? Am I sorry for what I did?

Parole Board Interviewer: Well, are you?

Redding: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I wanna talk to him. I wanna try to talk some sense to him -- tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I gotta live with that.Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word.So you go on and stamp your form sonny and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.
Two questions:
1.what's the connection between "a politician's word"and "young fellas having a job"?
2. "There's not a day(that) goes by I don't feel regret.",Is there supposed to be a "that",is it grammatically right?
Thanks a lot!

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
This is about the post on this great movie《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》,as I'm getting to the end of it.I'd like to thank everyone that answered my posts,without your help and enlightenment,I would not have been able to enjoy it so much.Since it's the last post of this 《THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION》thread,please allow me to make this last post a little longer,I quoted the whole dialogue between Red and Parole Board Interviewer,I think it's very classic .

Parole Board Interviewer: Please, sit down. Ellis Boyd Redding, your files say you've served 40 years of a life sentence. You feel you've been rehabilitated?

Redding: Rehabilitated? Well, now, let me see. You know, I don't have
any idea what that means.

Parole Board Interviewer: Uh, well, it means you're ready to rejoin society --

Redding: -- I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it's just a made up word, a politician's word, so that young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and have a job. What do you really wanna know? Am I sorry for what I did?

Parole Board Interviewer: Well, are you?

Redding: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I wanna talk to him. I wanna try to talk some sense to him -- tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I gotta live with that.Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word.So you go on and stamp your form sonny and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.
Two questions:
1.what's the connection between "a politician's word"and "young fellas having a job"?
2. "There's not a day(that) goes by I don't feel regret.",Is there supposed to be a "that",is it grammatically right?
Thanks a lot!

So you made it to the end! How did you enjoy it? We're waiting for your review.

The first sentence simply means that "rehabilitation" is just a word made up by politicians. Why? Because without this concept these particular bureaucrats would have no job. You see, in the U.S. there are a number of government officials who some people say are just doing unnecessary jobs for which they get paid. Hard to believe, isn't it?:roll:

As for the second sentence, "that" would normally be required in written English, but this has over the years become a common phrase: "Not a day goes by (but that) I don't regret having left that girl." It arose as a colloquialism but has now been pretty much accepted both in speech and writing.

So what's the next movie?

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So you made it to the end! How did you enjoy it? We're waiting for your review.

The first sentence simply means that "rehabilitation" is just a word made up by politicians. Why? Because without this concept these particular bureaucrats would have no job. You see, in the U.S. there are a number of government officials who some people say are just doing unnecessary jobs for which they get paid. Hard to believe, isn't it?:roll:

As for the second sentence, "that" would normally be required in written English, but this has over the years become a common phrase: "Not a day goes by (but that) I don't regret having left that girl." It arose as a colloquialism but has now been pretty much accepted both in speech and writing.

So what's the next movie?

Reviewing a movie is still too much for me, cus my English is too limited . :)
My next movie probably will be 《Forrest Gump》or《Godfather》,I have watched both of movies,but these classic movies are always worth watching multiple times,you will get something new every time you watch them.
So any good movie to recommand,kfredson?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Reviewing a movie is still too much for me, cus my English is too limited . :)
My next movie probably will be 《Forrest Gump》or《Godfather》,I have watched both of movies,but these classic movies are always worth watching multiple times,you will get something new every time you watch them.
So any good movie to recommand,kfredson?

Forrest Gump would be great. So would Casablanca. It depends on your taste. You should really begin a new thread with this question so that others can join in.

Did you get all this writing from watching the Shawshank Redemption? Or from the subtitles? Or did you have the script? I admire your hard work. This is certainly one way to learn English.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Forrest Gump would be great. So would Casablanca. It depends on your taste. You should really begin a new thread with this question so that others can join in.

Did you get all this writing from watching the Shawshank Redemption? Or from the subtitles? Or did you have the script? I admire your hard work. This is certainly one way to learn English.
I have watch Casablanca too,It's a great movie,just a little old :cool:,I also love the song "As Time Goes by".
I have the script and subtitles too,so all I do was copy and paste.If I could get all this writing from watching the movie ,I would have been one of the teachers.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.