[General] greeting expressions

• Thread starter cloudy
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,585
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cloudy

Hi, I just wanna know various kinds of greeting expressions that are commonly used among native speakers.

how are you?
how are you going (doing)?
what's up? ( informal)

answer: I'm good/ fine.
Nothing special.
Not much.

I think I normally can use those expressions but I want to know some other expressions if there are some.

Also, I wonder how I can say about my feelings when I feel not that good but someone asked me how I am.

thank you for reading.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, I just wanna know various kinds of greeting expressions that are commonly used among native speakers.

how are you?
how are you going (doing)?
what's up? ( informal)

answer: I'm good/ fine.
Nothing special.
Not much.

I think I normally can use those expressions but I want to know some other expressions if there are some.

Also, I wonder how I can say about my feelings when I feel not that good but someone asked me how I am.

thank you for reading.

Personally, I wouldn't use "How are you going?" It's possible that's used in the USA though. The ones you quote are all fine, as are the replies.

A very informal question would be "How's it hanging?" - very American and slang.

As far as answering "How are you?" when you're not feeling that good, you can say "So so" or "Not so good". However, remember that particularly in the UK, when someone says "Hi, how are you?" it is generally meant simply as a polite greeting, not a genuine enquiry into your state of health!! The usual polite reply is just "Fine, thanks". A good friend would probably be happy to hear how you really are!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"How's it going?" is fine but "How are you going" is not used.

The most common answer to the one is "Fine, thanks. You?"

Status
Not open for further replies.