1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Unhappy how can u improve my english

Hello everyone,
    I am the new here.
    First i am a chinese and my job has something to do with english. So really need to improve my english. I wanna you know my situation before giving me some suggestions.
    I learned english from schools many years ago, enlish level is just so so. I know my grammer is not good,always make some stupid mistakes. Even i know this, i still hate to learn grammer, cause it's so boring. I prefer to listen and speak.But not so good as well. I've been working for almost two years and keep learning for two years, but improved so littlle. My ways of study is listen to some english songs,watch english movies,listen to audio books,sometimes reading some news on CNN. I dont know why i can't improve it so fast aftering doing all these,so confused now. Hope you can give me some advises.
    BTW,i usually contact with customers via email, and no foreigners around here.So i usually dont speak english so often.
    Thanks in advance
    Wish the best to you all.
    Shayla

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: how can u improve my english

Is there any way you can access the comic strips that run regularly in American newspapers? If you can, these comic strips are a fun way to learn the everyday speech of Americans, including lots of slang. You will also better understand American culture. Within a year, you will be astounded by the improvement in your English. Of course, the comics will contain expressions you don't understand. So just post your questions here. Good luck!

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Smile Re: how can u improve my english

Thanks a million. I will try to find some American comic in internet cause i cannot find American newspaper in China.

Quote Originally Posted by shayla View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am the new here.
    First i am a chinese and my job has something to do with english. So really need to improve my english. I wanna you know my situation before giving me some suggestions.
    I learned english from schools many years ago, enlish level is just so so. I know my grammer is not good,always make some stupid mistakes. Even i know this, i still hate to learn grammer, cause it's so boring. I prefer to listen and speak.But not so good as well. I've been working for almost two years and keep learning for two years, but improved so littlle. My ways of study is listen to some english songs,watch english movies,listen to audio books,sometimes reading some news on CNN. I dont know why i can't improve it so fast aftering doing all these,so confused now. Hope you can give me some advises.
    BTW,i usually contact with customers via email, and no foreigners around here.So i usually dont speak english so often.
    Thanks in advance
    Wish the best to you all.
    Shayla
    I feel I have the learned other languages the quickest when I have learned whole sentences. Find lists of common sentences and learn them. They will get in your "ear" and you will start recognizing similar ones when you listen to English. As for movies, you can watch them over and over again using the subtitles while learning the sentences. But watch classic movies, such as Casablanca, not ones that are filled with slang.

You are clearly an eager learner and I'm sure you will master English. You probably know more than you realize.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Thanks very much. That means a lot to me.