Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have some problem to understand the meaning of *further down the road* in the following passage:

I thought it would just be my mom and me playing together forever. I never thought about *further down the road*. I had no idea what life had in store for me.

Does *further* mean *something else*? Does *down the road* mean *in the next future?

Is there anyone who can help me?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have some problem to understand the meaning of *further down the road* in the following passage:

I thought it would just be my mom and me playing together forever. I never thought about *further down the road*. I had no idea what life had in store for me.

Does *further* mean *something else*? Does *down the road* mean *in the next future?

Is there anyone who can help me?

"Further down the road" in the context of your text means "in the future".

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"Since the Middle English period many writers have used farther and further interchangeably. According to a relatively recent rule, however, farther should be reserved for physical distance and further for nonphysical, metaphorical advancement."

source:farther - definition of farther by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Using further over farther already hints us about a metaphorical sense.

I don't think that "further down the road" is an idiom.I guess in the text it was used instead of the future.(implying that he will know other women than his mother)

Status
Not open for further replies.