1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

condone/confirm

Hi! This is my first question here.

I happened to come across this sentence.

Although the local gambling club contributed large sums of money to civic projects, the new mayor firmly refused to _____ its activities.

This is a multiple choice question, and what I'm confusing with is condone and confirm. (the answer is "confirm".)

So, I looked it("condone") up on a dictionary, and it is defined as :

to regard or treat (something bad or blameworthy) as acceptable, forgivable, or harmless <a government accused of condoning racism> <condone corruption in politics>

I think gambling can be categorized as something bad or blameworthy as well.

Could you explain it?

Re: condone/confirm

Quote Originally Posted by ajaaja View Post

Although the local gambling club contributed large sums of money to civic projects, the new mayor firmly refused to _____ its activities.

This is a multiple choice question, and what I'm confusing with is condone and confirm. (the answer is "confirm".)

to regard or treat (something bad or blameworthy) as acceptable, forgivable, or harmless <a government accused of condoning racism> <condone corruption in politics>

Could you explain it?
    Condone seems to be the logical word to use in this sentence. I cannot see how "confirm" makes any sense. Why would a mayor be asked to confirm its activities? I'm not even sure what that would mean--unless "its activities" refers to the civic projects. In that case the whole sentence would be very ambiguous.

So was "confirm" the answer given by a textbook? A teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by ajaaja View Post

Could you explain it?
    Hi!

For me this test sentence has some logic if you apply the word 'support'.

Although the local gambling club contributed large sums of money to civic projects, the new mayor firmly refused to support its activities.

So, you can't condone a club from contributing large sums of money to civic projects as a mayor, rather you may condone them (the club) from laundering large sums of the local mafia money. But in this sentence there is nothing about the wrong-doing of the club; there is no other reason to condone them except that you imply that every gambling is wrong, then the word 'support', in my opinion, is rightly placed here.

Now, which of the two words ( 'condone' and 'confirm) can be substituted for 'support'? I think that 'confirm' [...refused to confirm (correctness) its (gambling)activities] is the right answer.
    Last edited by omasta; 05-Jan-2010 at 04:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

kfredson is right, the correct word is "condone".