tense to use when describing a fictional book/movie B?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
still unclear on certain things. for example, if i 'm writing a story, it be like , leon killed the monster in the police station., right?

but if i 'm talking to a friend about a story event, it should be like, leon kills the monster in the police station., right?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
still unclear on certain things. for example, if i 'm writing a story, it be like , leon killed the monster in the police station., right?

but if i 'm talking to a friend about a story event, it should be like, leon kills the monster in the police station., right?

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but there is no difference between writing a story or talking to a friend. The question is, is it happening now (at this very moment." In that case, you can write:
Leon kills the monster....

If it happened earlier, use the past tense.

Now, the fact is that people often switch into the present tense to tell a story about a past event, whether they are writing a story or talking to someone. (And this would always be the case if you were writing the narrative of a play or movie script.) If you do it consistently it is not wrong. It is a matter of style.

If you are telling an exciting story, feel free to use the present tense!

Status
Not open for further replies.