Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 529
    #1

    past or present tense ?

    Hi,

    Question:
    For each of the 4 "is/was" in my paragraph, will you use it or was?

    Paragraph:
    The second achievement is/was my Academic Prize.

    It is/was the reward of my effort over the 4 years spent for my BSc.

    This is/was awarded to students with good academic results.

    This is/was the evidence that I am one of the best students at the ABC University.




    Thanks

  1. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #2

    Re: past or present tense ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Hi,

    Question:
    For each of the 4 "is/was" in my paragraph, will you use it or was?

    Paragraph:
    The second achievement is/was my Academic Prize.

    It is/was the reward of my effort over the 4 years spent for my BSc.

    This is/was awarded to students with good academic results.

    This is/was the evidence that I am one of the best students at the ABC University.




    Thanks
    It can be either one. It depends on whether the action is in the present or the past. Which do you mean for it to be?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 529
    #3

    Re: past or present tense ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    It can be either one. It depends on whether the action is in the present or the past. Which do you mean for it to be?
    I got the prize last year.

    But I am describing my acheivement (the prize) now.

  2. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #4

    Re: past or present tense ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    I got the prize last year.

    But I am describing my acheivement (the prize) now.
    In that case, I would say to use them as follows:
    Sentence 1: is
    2: was
    3. was
    4. is

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 83
    #5

    Re: past or present tense ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    It can be either one. It depends on whether the action is in the present or the past. Which do you mean for it to be?
    I disagree with the third answer, because that sentence expresses a habit (is always given when the student get good academic result)

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #6

    Re: past or present tense ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uktous View Post
    Hi,

    Question:
    For each of the 4 "is/was" in my paragraph, will you use it or was?

    Paragraph:
    The second achievement is/was my Academic Prize.

    It is/was the reward of my effort over the 4 years spent for my BSc.

    This is/was awarded to students with good academic results.

    This is/was the evidence that I am one of the best students at the ABC University.




    Thanks
    The second achievement was my Academic Prize.

    It was the reward for my effort over the 4 years of my BSc.

    This is awarded to students with good academic results.

    This is the evidence that I was one of the best students at the ABC University. (you are no longer a student at ABC university)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 60
    #7

    Re: past or present tense ?

    This was a little tricky. I think the main thing to consider is if something has been completed. The sentence 'The second achievement is my Academic Prize.' sounds like you haven't received the prize yet or have just received it.

    I turned this into a blog post, read more on present vs past tense.

Similar Threads

  1. will in the past
    By Abstract Idea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2009, 14:52
  2. Present tense and Past tense
    By guzhao67 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2008, 15:47
  3. Past perfect tense usage - lack of clarity
    By venkatasu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-May-2008, 11:29
  4. My own theory on the present perfect tense
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2007, 22:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •