Translation

Hi Everybody,

When I speak English, sometimes I need to think it in my mother language and translate into English. For some unfamiliar sentence or things, I need to take a long time to think it and translate into English. My question is that if mother language is not an English, can we train up our brain to "think in English" and shorten the translation time from mother language to English, is it possible? Please advise.

WYH

Re: Translation

Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Everybody,

When I speak English, sometimes I need to think it in my mother language and translate into English. For some unfamiliar sentence or things, I need to take a long time to think it and translate into English. My question is that if mother language is not an English, can we train up our brain to "think in English" and shorten the translation time from mother language to English, is it possible? Please advise.

WYH
    Hello William from Outer Space,

For earthlings I would definitely say yes. For a space alien, it is highly doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    Hello William from Outer Space,

For earthlings I would definitely say yes. For a space alien, it is highly doubtful.
    Hi Kfredson,

Thank you for your reply. You mean we can "think in English" even English is not our mother tongue? Could you please tell me how we can do that? Any special training needed?...please provide your suggestions....thanks.

WYH

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Hi Kfredson,

Thank you for your reply. You mean we can "think in English" even English is not our mother tongue? Could you please tell me how we can do that? Any special training needed?...please provide your suggestions....thanks.

WYH
    In my experience with French it wasn't until I came to live in France, and consequently was surrounded by the language, using it every day, that I started to think in French. This seemed to happen quite spontaneously.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 05-Jan-2010 at 17:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

I don't think that it may be about thinking in a foreign language. For example, if a native-speaker says "how are you" to you , do you translate it in your mind and than reply or just say "fine". It is about how much one is exposed to a foreign language.You may be abroad or you are exposed to it very intensively through reading, watching or listening. But sometimes translation process would still be needed particularly for the sentences which are long or have a certain intellectual level or whose words twisted for creating a humourous effect, etc. But for the phrases that we frequently hear, such a process isn't needed, one just understands them. 'Cos it has been being told that learning is about the frequency of repetition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

My question is that if mother language is not an English, can we train up our brain to "think in English" and shorten the translation time from mother language to English, is it possible?.
    Yes, it is possible. There are many people who speak English as a second language who can "think in English," as you said.

You mean we can "think in English" even English is not our mother tongue? Could you please tell me how we can do that? Any special training needed?
    Yes, you may be able to "think English" even if that is not your mother tongue, just keep practising.

Take a look at the following thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...g-english.html

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Exclamation Re: Translation

Hi Everybody,

WYH
    English is not my mother tongue. Still, I always think in Eng & need lots of time to translate my thoughts into any other lge. Is that normal?
    Notice that I acquired Arabic & Eng at the same time!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I came to Canada from Germany when I was just about 11 years old. My German is very good, and when I am in Germany I tend to think in German.

I have a problem reading German magazines and books, for although I understand what I am reading, I tend to translate into English as I am reading.

There are some things that to me, it seems, will always be in German. When I am doing a simple mathematical addition as in the price of siomething in a store with a percentage off, I tend to do it in my head in German.

I found also that with my limited French, when I was in Paris this past summer, I tended to think in French!