• Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Cool proved their worth

In the following sentence, it seems something is missing

When troubles erupted, the family guard had founded, trained, and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal proved their worth.

On one hand, it seems the guard has founded, trained and secretly tested ¿?somebody ¿? to eliminate disloyal ones who have proved their worth, that's to say "they have proved to be very dangerous"

But on the other, it seems it is he who has personally eliminated all those ruffians.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what's saying this sentence. Can you help me to unveil its mysteries.

Thank You so much

Re: proved their worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post

When troubles erupted, the family guard had founded, trained, and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal proved their worth.

On one hand, it seems the guard has founded, trained and secretly tested ¿?somebody ¿? to eliminate disloyal ones who have proved their worth, that's to say "they have proved to be very dangerous"

But on the other, it seems it is he who has personally eliminated all those ruffians.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what's saying this sentence. Can you help me to unveil its mysteries.

Thank You so much
    The sentence is poorly written.

What is seems to be saying... is that after the time of some trouble the family guard took steps to investigate and weed out further potential problems to avoid future occurrences.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Cool Re: proved their worth

Quote Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
    The sentence is poorly written.

What is seems to be saying... is that after the time of some trouble the family guard took steps to investigate and weed out further potential problems to avoid future occurrences.
    Thank You for your interest. Nevertheless, please, this word "disloyal", what do you think it is referring to? And he verb "founded", here?
    Don't you think that they are the disloyal ones those who has demonstrated they are big bad guys who deserve be eliminated?

Thank You

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: proved their worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post

Thank You so much

It seems to me that one of the following is what it means to say:
    When troubles erupted, the family guard which had been founded, trained and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal, proved their worth.
    or
    When troubles erupted; the family guard, founded, trained and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal, proved their worth.

Even then it's not great.