Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In the following sentence, it seems something is missing

When troubles erupted, the family guard had founded, trained, and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal proved their worth.

On one hand, it seems the guard has founded, trained and secretly tested ¿?somebody ¿? to eliminate disloyal ones who have proved their worth, that's to say "they have proved to be very dangerous"

But on the other, it seems it is he who has personally eliminated all those ruffians.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what's saying this sentence. Can you help me to unveil its mysteries.

Thank You so much

DougLewis

Member Type
English Teacher

When troubles erupted, the family guard had founded, trained, and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal proved their worth.

On one hand, it seems the guard has founded, trained and secretly tested ¿?somebody ¿? to eliminate disloyal ones who have proved their worth, that's to say "they have proved to be very dangerous"

But on the other, it seems it is he who has personally eliminated all those ruffians.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what's saying this sentence. Can you help me to unveil its mysteries.

Thank You so much

The sentence is poorly written.

What is seems to be saying... is that after the time of some trouble the family guard took steps to investigate and weed out further potential problems to avoid future occurrences.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The sentence is poorly written.

What is seems to be saying... is that after the time of some trouble the family guard took steps to investigate and weed out further potential problems to avoid future occurrences.

Thank You for your interest. Nevertheless, please, this word "disloyal", what do you think it is referring to? And he verb "founded", here?
Don't you think that they are the disloyal ones those who has demonstrated they are big bad guys who deserve be eliminated?

Thank You

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Thank You so much

It seems to me that one of the following is what it means to say:
When troubles erupted, the family guard which had been founded, trained and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal, proved their worth.
or
When troubles erupted; the family guard, founded, trained and secretly tested to weed out the disloyal, proved their worth.

Even then it's not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.