• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

that

The following is an excerpt from a book by Robert Greene:

According to conventional wisdom, an opportunity is something that exists out there in the world; if it comes our way and we seize it, it brings us money and power. This could be a particular job, the perfect fit for us; it could be a chance to create or join a new venture. It could be meeting the appropriate person. In any event, it depends on being at the right place at the right time and having the proper skills to take advantage of this propitious moment. We generally believe there are only a few such golden chances in life, and most of us are waiting for them to cross our path.

This concept is extremely limited in scope. It makes us dependent on outside forces. It stems from a fearful, passive attitude towards life that is counterproductive.

The last sentence struck me as unusual. It implies that a fearful, passive attitude towards life can also be productive, but the author seems to be criticizing such an attitude per se.

I think the sentence should read as follows:

It stems from a fearful, passive attitude towards life, which is counterproductive.

What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: that

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

According to conventional wisdom, an opportunity is something that exists out there in the world; if it comes our way and we seize it, it brings us money and power. This could be a particular job, the perfect fit for us; it could be a chance to create or join a new venture. It could be meeting the appropriate person. In any event, it depends on being at the right place at the right time and having the proper skills to take advantage of this propitious moment. We generally believe there are only a few such golden chances in life, and most of us are waiting for them to cross our path.

This concept is extremely limited in scope. It makes us dependent on outside forces. It stems from a fearful, passive attitude towards life that is counterproductive.

The last sentence struck me as unusual. It implies that a fearful, passive attitude towards life can also be productive, but the author seems to be criticizing such an attitude per se.

It stems from a fearful, passive attitude towards life, which is counterproductive.

What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback.
    I see no real difference. Either one is fully understandable -- and grammatically correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: that

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post

What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback.
    I can see your point, and it's a good grammatical argument. However, I see the clause as being defining. And we use this construction often in English.

This is the type of noisy violent behaviour that we don't need in our neighbourhood. (Although this is a defining clause, it doesn't imply that there are other types of noisy violent behaviour that are needed).
    It actually means "This is the type of behaviour - this noisy violent behaviour - that we don't need in our neighbourhood.

Your sentence means:
    It stems from an attitude towards life - a fearful, passive one - that is counterproductive.

He is the sort of rude obnoxious poster that we don't want on this forum.

I was brought up in an uninspired, dysfunctional family that did me no good at all.
    It was the family "that did me no good at all"
    I was brought up in an uninspired, dysfunctional family, which did me no good at all.
    It was being brought up in it that "did me no good at all".
    The same applies to your sentence.
    Last edited by Raymott; 07-Jan-2010 at 07:27.