• Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Kindly explian..excerpts from sidney sheldon novel

Following are the sentences I came across in the novel

1. What an incredible woman. She's ageless. No one would ever guess all she has lived through.

Novel are generally in past tense...what if i use had instead of has in the above sentence.

2. I have had the privilege of knowing Kate Blackwell.
    Kindly explain the usage of tension.

Over a distant clap of thunder, Kate heard the governor finish his speech and introduce her.

why later part is in present tense I think it is just author's style. can I writed it as finished his speech and introduced her.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Kindly explian..excerpts from sidney sheldon novel

Quote Originally Posted by new2grammar View Post

1. What an incredible woman. She's ageless. No one would ever guess all she has lived through.

Novel are generally in past tense...what if i use had instead of has in the above sentence. Only if she is dead.

Kindly explain the usage of tension. This explains an experience "he" has had which is relevant to him now.

Over a distant clap of thunder, Kate heard the governor finish his speech and introduce her.

why later part is in present tense I think it is just author's style. can I writed it as finished his speech and introduced her. "She heard him finish".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: Kindly explian..excerpts from sidney sheldon novel

Quote Originally Posted by new2grammar View Post

Novel are generally in past tense...what if i use had instead of has in the above sentence.

Kindly explain the usage of tension.

why later part is in present tense I think it is just author's style. can I writed it as finished his speech and introduced her.

It is not true that novels are written in past tense. A novel is a literary work and please remember, all Literary works are considered to exist in the present tense. So when describing the action or characters in a work of literary fiction, the present tense is normally used.