• Post Thanks / Like

Post analysis of data

I have to answer this question in a essay type of 3 paragraphs
    I am lost because I don't know where to begin and my teacher is really severe. Please help me

Discuss the differences between 1a and 1b regarding the syntactic and semantic properties of the verbs remain and criticize, and those of the NP a keen supporter of the proposal in each sentences. To do so, you may find useful to provide an account of the difference in grammaticality between 2a and 2b.

1a John remained a keen supporter of the proposal.
    1b John criticized a keen supporter of the proposal.

2a* A keen supporter of the proposal was remained by John.
    b A keen supporter of the proposal was critized by John.

thanksss

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: analysis of data

Quote Originally Posted by cestloulou View Post
    I am lost because I don't know where to begin and my teacher is really severe. Please help me

Discuss the differences between 1a and 1b regarding the syntactic and semantic properties of the verbs remain and criticize, and those of the NP a keen supporter of the proposal in each sentences. To do so, you may find useful to provide an account of the difference in grammaticality between 2a and 2b.

thanksss
    I have no idea. I'm glad I'm not in your class! I will say, however, that sentence 2a makes no sense. "Remained" is an intransitive verb. You can't "remain" something.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: analysis of data

Hello,

the * in 2a indicates that indeed it is ungrammatical. The passivization is used here to show the difference between the verb remain and criticize.

I think I kind of understand the exercice but my problem is the formulation. What is the difference between a predicative complement and a direct object?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: analysis of data

Quote Originally Posted by cestloulou View Post

thanksss
    I agree with kefredson because it would be also difficult for me to satisfy your teacher. In the beginning you have said, ”I have to answer this question in a essay type of 3 paragraphs.” Then you wanted an account of the difference in grammaticality between 2a and 2b. If the real need is an analysis of the grammatical structure, type, tense and voice of the verb, here they are:

1a. The verb ‘remain’ is a regular and intransitive verb used in past tense with active voice. It can not take a direct object without use of an appropriate preposition. So use ‘as’ or ‘like’ to join the underlined expression a noun phrase with the sentence. It can not be coverted to passive form
    1b. The verb ‘criticize’ is a regular and transitive verb used in past tense and active voice. The noun phrase (underlined) is the direct object of the verb.
    2a. It can not work.
    2b. This is Ok as a passive form of 2a.