1. Unregistered

Question is or are

I need to know how to explain to a second grader when to use is and when to use are. ai can't seem to make him understand.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: is or are

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I need to know how to explain to a second grader when to use is and when to use are. ai can't seem to make him understand.
    Start by giving him or her some examples.

Re: is or are

(Not a teacher)

I'm presuming that the student is learning english as a second language...

At the early stage of learning a new language, theres no harm translating things from one language to another. Especially something fundamental like the verb 'be'.

Use the students native language to illustrate the difference. If the native language does indeed have such a rule, of course.

The 'second grader' part makes me think it might just be a high school student in an English speaking country. If so, then it should be enough to say that all verbs have a different form for 'he/she/it' - third person singular. Illustrate this with common regular verbs and show how they are all the same except when used with 'he/she/it'. Then say that this is the difference between 'is' and 'are'. The only difference is that 'be' is irregular, so the change is more 'dramatic'.
    Last edited by Linguist__; 06-Jan-2010 at 23:46.