[General] hub/presage/blue in the face/whole loth/cut out of whole cloth/hot potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Google Earth, for instance, shows that the original hub of the nuclear complex at Isfahan consists of scores of easily observed — and easy to attack — buildings.

hub = a centre of activity or interest or commerce or transportation; a focal point around which events revolve

Joy and shout -- presage of victory.

Never before, perhaps, in the history of the world, was an hour so fateful, so full of presage, as the present.

presage = something which foreshows or portends a future event; a prognostic; an omen; an augury

If there be aught of presage in the mind.

presage = power to look the future, or the exercise of that power; foreknowledge; presentiment;

synonyms of presage: prognostic; omen; token; sign;

He had a clear presage that the whole thing would fail.

The dark clouds presaged a storm.

I presage that everything will end badly.

presage (v) = foretoken, threaten, promise

don't sell yourself short = it means “don't undervalue yourself”; you are much better tallented, skilled or just a better person than you say you are

You can talk until you’re blue in the face!

blue in the face = exhausted from anger, strain, or other great effort

A mythology can not be created for literary purposes out of whole cloth; it must be the work of a race.

whole cloth = pure fabrication; something that is wholly fabricated or a complete lie

Herstory was cut out of whole cloth.

out of whole cloth = from pure fabrication

cut out of whole cloth = made up, false

Many school boards found segregation a hot potato in the 1960s.

hot potato = a question that causes strong argument and is difficult to settle

In my salad years I dropped my first girl-friend like a hot potato even at the first day of our acquaintance.

drop someone like a hot potato = to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

Google Earth, for instance, shows that the original hub of the nuclear complex at Isfahan consists of scores of easily observed — and easy to attack — buildings.

hub = a centre of activity or interest or commerce or transportation; a focal point around which events revolve= heart of the nuclear complex

Joy and shout -- presage of victory.

Never before, perhaps, in the history of the world, was an hour so fateful, so full of presage, as the present.

presage = something which foreshows or portends a future event; a prognostic; an omen; an augury
The evidence of Antarctica ice melting affecting the krill and penguin populations is a presage of doom for the living civilization
If there be aught of presage in the mind.

presage = power to look the future, or the exercise of that power; foreknowledge; presentiment;

synonyms of presage: prognostic; omen; token; sign;

He had a clear presage that the whole thing would fail.

The dark clouds presaged a storm.

I presage that everything will end badly.
The Maya civilization had presaged as far as 500 years ago, the end of creation to happen on 21st December 2012.
presage (v) = foretoken, threaten, promise

don't sell yourself short = it means “don't undervalue yourself”; you are much better tallented, skilled or just a better person than you say you are

You can talk until you’re blue in the face!

blue in the face = exhausted from anger, strain, or other great effort
Blue in the face
'Cause you're always in a hurry
Blue in the face
'Cause you always tend to worry

A mythology can not be created for literary purposes out of whole cloth; it must be the work of a race.

whole cloth = pure fabrication; something that is wholly fabricated or a complete lie

Her story was cut out of whole cloth.

out of whole cloth = from pure fabrication

cut out of whole cloth = made up, false

Many school boards found segregation a hot potato in the 1960s.

hot potato = a question that causes strong argument and is difficult to settle and that those handling it risk unpleasant consequences
Hot potato is also a party game that involves players gathering in a circle and tossing a small object such as a tennis ball to each other while music plays

In my salad years I dropped my first girl-friend like a hot potato even at the first day of our acquaintance.

drop someone like a hot potato = to disassociate oneself with someone or something instantly

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All are OK. I think, the time is now ripe for presaged events coming to the fore.

Last edited:
Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.