Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,681
    #1

    This is versus It is

    Consider the following situation: two men are in the museum, a tour guide has come up to them. One man says to the other: It's our tour guide./This is our tour guide. Are both variants correct from the point of view of a native speaker of English in this particular situation?


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #2

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by english-help.okis.ru View Post
    Consider the following situation: two men are in the museum, a tour guide has come up to them. One man says to the other: It's our tour guide./This is our tour guide. Are both variants correct from the point of view of a native speaker of English in this particular situation?
    Demonstrative pronouns are not usually used to refer to humans. A major exception to this rule , though, is when they are used in introductions.

    This is our tour guide.
    It is our tour guide. ('It' is not a demonstrative pronoun)
    (S)he is our tour guide.

  2. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #3

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    It is our tour guide. ('It' is not a demonstrative pronoun)
    (S)he is our tour guide.
    Question:
    She, a little girl, is our tour guide.
    He, an old man, is our tour guide.
    It, a monkey , is our tour guide. (this is not that impossible )

    Is "it" definitely wrong, anyway?

    Cheers!


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #4

    Re: This is versus It is

    'it' is reserved for inanimate things. Animals are borderline beings. Sometimes they are referred to by he or she.

  3. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #5

    Re: This is versus It is

    Okay, it is a bit difficult for me fully to understand this now, but I will remember your words

    Thanks!

    Cheers!

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #6

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    Demonstrative pronouns are not usually used to refer to humans. A major exception to this rule , though, is when they are used in introductions.

    This is our tour guide.
    It is our tour guide. ('It' is not a demonstrative pronoun)
    (S)he is our tour guide.
    "Who is that?" "It's our tour guide". This is a perfectly correct exchange.

  5. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #7

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    'it' is reserved for inanimate things.
    However, you can use "it" when you call someone who you know by phone wants to know who you are and you reply as "it's me!".

    It is true for the situation that you knock the door of someone you know and when he/she answers the door by asking you who you are , you say "it's me"

  6. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,681
    #8

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Who is that?" "It's our tour guide". This is a perfectly correct exchange.
    And if no one asks "Who's that?", if the speaker is just informing his friend or colleague that the person who has come up to them is going to be their tour guide, will it be correct to say "It's our tour guide" without any introduction and not as an a answer to a question?
    Last edited by englishhobby; 07-Jan-2010 at 20:11. Reason: forgot an article

  7. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #9

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by english-help.okis.ru View Post
    And if no one asks "Who's that?", if the speaker is just informing his friend or colleague that the person who has come up to them is going to be their tour guide, will it be correct to say "It's our tour guide" without any introduction and not as an a answer to a question?
    Yes, for example: "Oh look, it's our tour guide".

  8. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,681
    #10

    Re: This is versus It is

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, for example: "Oh look, it's our tour guide".
    And is there any difference between "Look, this is our tour guide" and "Look, it's our tour guide"?Are these interchangeable in this situation without any change of meaning?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] "Three times as many" versus "Triple"
    By metallicfacez in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2009, 20:08
  2. Couple is versus couple are.
    By gjo123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2009, 06:01
  3. Capital versus small letters
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2008, 01:12
  4. FYI versus an FYI, versus a FYI
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2007, 20:50
  5. using in versus on
    By lusero in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2005, 11:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •