Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1
    #1

    Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Are there any verbs that cannot be used in the present perfect tense with 'since'?
    We've had a discussion about whether or not a sentence like 'Since when has the new school year started?' is grammatically correct.
    I think it is. Am I wrong?

  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #2

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    It depends on the situation.

    Look:
    Example 1: - no "since when"
    Let's say you work in a factory.
    I come to you and ask you:
    "How long have you been working here?"
    The question is fully okay and fully neutral.

    Example 2:
    2 days later I see you in another factory.
    This confuses me, and I ask you:
    "Since when do you work here??"

    Example 3: -
    no "since when"
    You ask your teacher:
    "How long have you been a teacher?"
    This would be correct.

    Example 4:
    You discuss with a friend about cars.
    Your little sister (imagine it) begins to speak with you about cars.
    You and your friend laugh and ask here:
    "Since when do you have any knowledge about cars?"

    Do you see?
    There is a clear difference between Example 1+3 and 2+4
    This "since when" is more a question when something is unexpected.
    Do never use "since when" when it's a neutral question.

    P.S. Not a teacher

    Cheers!


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    #3

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Quote Originally Posted by nadine_nc View Post
    Am I wrong?
    Unfortunatelly.

    When did school start?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 121
    #4

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    It depends on the situation.

    Look:
    Example 1: - no "since when"
    Let's say you work in a factory.
    I come to you and ask you:
    "How long have you been working here?"
    The question is fully okay and fully neutral.

    Example 2:
    2 days later I see you in another factory.
    This confuses me, and I ask you:
    "Since when do you work here??"

    Example 3: -
    no "since when"
    You ask your teacher:
    "How long have you been a teacher?"
    This would be correct.

    Example 4:
    You discuss with a friend about cars.
    Your little sister (imagine it) begins to speak with you about cars.
    You and your friend laugh and ask here:
    "Since when do you have any knowledge about cars?"

    Do you see?
    There is a clear difference between Example 1+3 and 2+4
    This "since when" is more a question when something is unexpected.
    Do never use "since when" when it's a neutral question.

    P.S. Not a teacher

    Cheers!

    You discuss with a friend about cars. \\incorrect
    You discuss cars with a friend \\ correct

  2. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #5

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Quote Originally Posted by jayan12 View Post
    You discuss with a friend about cars. \\incorrect
    You discuss cars with a friend \\ correct
    Nope, both are correct.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post549889

    Cheers!

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #6

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    2 days later I see you in another factory.
    This confuses me, and I ask you:
    "Since when do you work here??"


    "Since when have you worked here".

  4. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #7

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    I can't agree with you, bhaisahab.
    In my opinion example 2 and 4 are the same.
    The question is not about the time (how long), it is more like
    "What's the reason that you work here, now??"
    I don't really care how long she's been working here.
    Since when do pigs fly?

    Cheers!

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #8

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    I can't agree with you, bhaisahab.
    In my opinion example 2 and 4 are the same.
    The question is not about the time (how long), it is more like
    "What's the reason that you work here, now??"
    I don't really care how long she's been working here.
    Since when do pigs fly?

    Cheers!
    In that case you should ask "Why do you work here?" to say "Since when do you work here?" is really very poor, lazy English.

  6. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #9

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Okay, I will remember this, thanks.

    Cheers!

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #10

    Re: Presenst Perfect with 'since'

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Originally Posted by jayan12
    You discuss with a friend about cars. \\incorrect
    You discuss cars with a friend \\ correct
    Nope, sentence one would be a give away that you are a non-native speaker.
    I don't see how your link supports it as being correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Perfect tense, continuous tense, perfect continuous
    By foggyfield in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2009, 14:00
  2. [Grammar] Present Perfect tenses
    By Waawe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2009, 18:27
  3. present perfect 1
    By bayan said in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2006, 17:31
  4. Past Perfect / Present Perfect
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2005, 17:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •